Eligibility and Criteria for Proposed Academic Leave
A tenured faculty member is eligible for academic leave after six full-time years of service at North Park University. Academic leave shall not be considered automatic; it will be awarded on the basis of the merits of the proposal presented and depending on the staffing requirements of the university. Proposals should demonstrate how the project is mutually beneficial both to the faculty member, for his or her professional development, and to the university, for advancing its educational mission, priorities, and values.
Each year when possible, the Provost will budget a minimum coverage of 18 courses to cover absences for Sabbatical Leave.
The number of Leaves recommended by the Office of the Provost will be dependent on the following criteria:
- The number of applications submitted.
- Request for full year vs. semester leave.
- College or School Dean’s support
- Time of request and flexibility of the applicant (Spring or Fall).
Dean’s Evaluation should consider the following:
- The merit of the request.
- The logistical implication of faculty request (accreditation, semester needs and available adjunct pool).
- Faculty flexibility with time of request.
- Faculty ability to complete the planned activities.
- The importance of the planned activities to the department or school.
This form should be downloaded, completed with typed answers, and then printed for signature and approval.