Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction
Apply by March 31 for the cohort beginning in Summer 2013.
Spiritual direction is a ministry of listening, discernment, and prayer in a confidential setting of encouragement and compassion. An individual offering spiritual direction helps to discern the movement of God in the life of another person. First launched in 2005, North Park's Certificate in Spiritual Direction program quickly established itself as an affordable choice for people who feel called to this ministry, featuring high quality, graduate level instruction and training. Peer cohorts of exceptional individuals form an intense and creative learning community, both during the summer intensives and as an online learning community throughout the year.
- Participants become trained to serve as Spiritual Directors in the Christian tradition
- Individuals emerge as part of a community of directors who continue to support and encourage each other in ministry
- A cohort model of 20 students completes the program together in just over two years
- Courses in this 15-credit certificate apply to a full master's degree at North Park Theological Seminary
Each spring, only twenty students are selected from the pool of applicants. A balance is maintained between credentialed clergy and active lay people, as well as between men and women, and among various Christian traditions including Lutheran, Pentecostal, Episcopal, and other traditions.
Summer Intensive Schedule
||July 22-28, 2013
||July 15-21, 2013
||July 21-27, 2014
|July 22-28, 2013
||July 14-20, 2014
|July 21-27, 2014
The daily schedule begins at 8:30 am and continues most evenings after a dinner break. At the conclusion of Intensive 3, a banquet celebrates the conclusion of the program and the awarding of certificates.
Housing and Meals
Housing is available at nearby area motels and often includes breakfast. Some students locate housing in area homes. Meals are the responsibility of the student, and there are a variety of restaurants within walking distance of the campus. There are usually several hosted meals during the week.
Tuition is estimated at $7,500 over a period of 24 months. Tuition is billed based on the number of semester hours for each course as they are taken at the then-current charge per semester hour. Payment of the balance due is expected by the first day of the intensive and at the start of each of the online courses.
A monthly payment plan can be arranged, but the full cost of the course needs to be paid in full before starting the next course in the certificate. Visit the Types of Aid page for more information about tuition and grant opportunities. Visit the Billing Basics page for more information about setting up a monthly payment plan.
Students in the certificate program will invest approximately 110 hours of work in addition to the summer intensive courses. Use the links below to download sample syllabi for each requirement.
Year 1 — Spiritual Direction: Listening to the Movement of God
Year 2 — Spiritual Direction: Listening to the Movement of God with Another
Year 3 — The Ministry of Spiritual Direction: Listening the Movement of God in Church and Community
Interested in Applying?
By March 31
- Complete Application due, including a $25 non-refundable application fee
- Write your essays and include them with your application. (See the application for specific instructions.)
- Request official academic transcripts from each undergraduate, graduate, and professional institution you have attended. (Order your transcripts early, so they arrive before the deadline. Schools should send sealed transcripts directly to North Park.)
- Download the personal reference form and have two individuals complete this as part of this application
By May 15
- For admitted students, tuition deposit due to confirm enrollment
Failure to meet this deadline will result in the cancellation of the admission offer due to limited space; the seat in the cohort will be offered to another applicant. Admission cannot be deferred; reapplication for a subsequent cohort start is required.
First Day of Class
- Balance due for first intensive
For more information contact the Seminary Office of Recruitment and Enrollment via email or by phone at (800) 964-0101 or (773) 244-6229.