Professor of Business and Nonprofit Management
At North Park Since: 2001
Dr. Catherine Marsh may be most well known for teaching Ethical Leadership in which she requires her students to impersonate a leader for a whole class period. Coming at the end of a seven-week class session, this culminating project allows her graduate students to formulate what it is they have learned about ethical leadership and how it is played out in the world. “Guests” at this class period have ranged from Gandhi to Howard Schultz, the founder of Starbucks.
This sort of energy and interaction is characteristic of all Dr. Marsh’s classes, where she engages students in learning that is both welcoming of a wide range of perspectives, and challenging of students to think broadly and consider new ideas. One recent graduate said, “I always looked forward to her engaging and interactive teaching style. She is amazing when explaining the ‘big picture.’ She pushes students to reframe their ideas in ways that challenge them to grow.”
Dr. Marsh teaches mainly graduate-level coursework, with emphasis on leadership management, diversity management, and team building. She brings more than 20 years of experience, primarily in fundraising and human resource management, to her classrooms, and draws relevant, real-life examples from her continued consulting work and research.
Dr. Marsh is a member of the Academy of Human Resource Development, the American Association of Adult and Continuing Education, and the Adult and Higher Education Alliance.
- Ed.D, Northern Illinois University
- MBA, North Park University
- BA, History, University of California at Santa Barbara
- Catherine Marsh. “Building an Ethic of Collaboration: Moral Development in and out of the Classroom.” In Conversations About Adult Learning in Our Complex World, edited by C.J.B. McGill and K.P. King. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, 2012.
- Catherine Marsh. “Business Executives’ Perceptions of Ethical Leadership and Its Development.” Journal of Business Ethics (June 2012).
- Catherine Marsh. “Building an Ethic of Service.” In Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations: A Reference Handbook, Vol. 2, edited by Kathryn A. Agard, p. 849-858. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: SAGE Publications, Inc., 2011.