Master of Higher Education Administration
The Master of Higher Education Administration (MHEA) is desgned for administrators, faculty, policy makers, and leaders in higher education interested in enhancing their leadership and management capabilities.
The MHEA requires 18 courses, or 36 semester hours, consisting of 13 core courses and five electives. All courses are two semester hours, and students with prior academic coursework in higher education administration or nonprofit management may have up to five courses waived.
The MHEA is designed for working professionals. Each course is seven weeks long, and there are six terms per year. Face-to-face courses meet once a week for 3.5 hours. While the degree may be completed part-time in just 21 months, the average time for degree completion is 2.5 years.
The program is extremely flexible. You pursue courses when you wish, at the pace you want, and in the format (classroom or online) you desire. Many of the required courses are offered both at the Chicago campus and online, although courses specific to higher education are offered only online.
- You may complete graduate certificate programs as part of your MHEA in order to concentrate your studies within the degree.
- Take elective courses through the SBNM or approved courses from other graduate partner programs at North Park University.
- As a graduate of the MHEA program, you will be eligible for the SBNM’s Lifetime Learning program, which allows you to take graduate SBNM courses at a 50% tuition discount for the rest of your life. You may obtain a second SBNM graduate degree by completing a minimum of eight additional courses.
Up to five MHEA core courses may be waived if you completed similar undergraduate or graduate courses from an accredited institution within the previous 10 years and received a grade of B or higher. If the number of course waivers exceeds two, you must replace each waived course beyond the first two with an elective course. Waiver and course transfer arrangements are granted at the time of admission to a degree program, and students are not allowed to waive or transfer additional courses after acceptance as a degree-seeking student.
MHEA Core Courses
- SBNM 5010 Organizational Behavior and Ethics
- SBNM 5011 Ethical Leadership
- SBNM 5350 Nonprofit Financial Management
- SBNM 5351 Nonprofit Financial Decision Making
- SBNM 5680 Nonprofit Marketing Analysis and Consumer Behavior
- SBNM 5740 Principles of Higher Education Administration
- SBNM 5741 Higher Education Organization and Governance
- SBNM 5742 The Contemporary College Student
- SBNM 5745 Higher Education Curriculum Development
- SBNM 5746 The Law of Higher Education
- SBNM 5770 Fundraising Principles for Nonprofit Organizations
- SBNM 5780 Measuring Outcomes and Assessment
- SBNM 5790 Nonprofit Strategic Management
You may choose any five elective courses from among those offered through the SBNM, or approved courses from other graduate partner programs at North Park University.