Professor of Education
Expertise: Supervision and curriculum development; teacher education programming and instructional strategy; assessment; technology; lesson development
At North Park since: 2003
For Dr. Barbara Levandowski, teaching is a calling. “Students often share that their desire to become a teacher is God’s calling for them,” she says. “I know it is for me.” Dr. Levandowski earned her own teaching credentials at North Park, and has returned to share her expertise with, and walk alongside, students who are discovering this calling for themselves. She enjoys the incorporation of faith and learning that the School of Education affords. “I am deeply touched by the dedication to their faith that students share with me.”
At North Park, Dr. Levandowski is able to personally get to know her students, understanding their interests and career aspirations. “Our department takes great pride in the feeling of community we have created, that we welcome our students into,” she says.
As a field clinical experience supervisor and master’s project chair, Dr. Levandowski finds that “the School of Education is well-known throughout Chicago, Cook County, and the collar counties of Lake and McHenry.” She helps her students successfully transition from teacher education programs to their own classrooms. “Administrators are pleased with the quality of the teacher candidates we prepare.”
Dr. Levandowski has been an invited presenter at Oxford University and Cambridge Educational Symposium in England. She also serves in North Park’s student mentor program and is a member of the Association of Teacher Educators, among other professional associations.
- EdD, Curriculum and Supervision, Northern Illinois University· MEd, Education, Northern Illinois University
- Certificate of Advanced Study, Curriculum, Northern Illinois University
- BA, Education and Spanish, North Park University
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Barbara Levandowski. The Adventures of Muffin and Alexander: Off to School. Bloomington, IN: Trafford Publishing, 2012. [Children’s book series]
- Barbara Levandowski. “Creating Your Teacher Tool Kit.” Presentaiton to Future Educators of America, Baltimore (Feb. 2012).
- Barbara Levandowski. “Transition from the University Classroom to the Beginning Teacher’s Classroom: The Need for Collaboration.” Presentation to the Association of Teacher Educators, San Antonio (Feb. 2012).