Frequently Asked Questions

We know that transfer students have some different questions than undergraduates who are starting college for the first time. Use the information below to help you navigate some of the frequently asked questions that transfer students bring to North Park.

Transferring Courses

Registering for Classes

Declaring a Major

Campus Life

Support Services

Transferring Courses

What is the 60/90 rule?

North Park accepts up to 60 credits from a two-year college or 90 credits from a four-year college. Transfer of credit is evaluated chronologically; transfer of credit from a two-year college is limited to 60 semester hours. Credit for work completed beyond this total must be from a bachelor’s degree-granting institution. Transfer of credit from a bachelor’s degree-granting institution is limited to 90 semester hours. To read more about how credit is transferred see the Transfer of Credit Prior to Attending North Park section in the academic catalog.

How can I tell what classes transferred into North Park?

The classes that you transferred in will be reflected on the Transfer Credit Evaluation form. This will include all the classes that were eligible for transferring into North Park University. Classes that you would like to transfer must be sent to the school on an official transcript.

  • Some classes will be filled in under the General Education section (left side of the document). Once the general education requirement is entirely fulfilled, it will show an “X” in the box adjacent to the listed class.
  • Others that do not meet General education requirements will be listed in the elective section (right side of the document). Some of these classes may be able to count towards major classes. You must fill out a major course transfer form to receive credit towards your major. If this process is not complete, the class will not be counted as elective credit.
  • Refer to the helpful guide for understanding a transfer evaluation for more information.

How do I interpret my transfer course evaluation?

Refer to the online guide for both the Evaluation of Transfer Credit Form and Cover Sheet. Contact the Office of Student Enrichment Services and Support with further questions.

What do I have left to take?

You will be able to assess this by referring to the Evaluation of Transfer Credit form and comparing this to an academic planning guide that describes your major. Please be sure to refer to the academic catalog that coincides with the year that you enrolled in North Park University. This will help you decipher what the academic requirements are for your major during that academic year.

How can I get classes to count towards my major requirements?

You must fill out a Transfer of Major Course form. You will be required to list each of the courses for consideration. The signature of the department chairperson is required for each corresponding course. A copy of a course description or syllabus may be requested by the department.

Registering for Classes

How do I register?

New Students

You are eligible to register for classes after you have paid your tuition deposit. Begin at the New Student Registration site online and familiarize yourself with the information there. When ready, you can move onto the registration form in this section on which you will select classes you would like to take for the upcoming semester. As you complete the registration form please select This requirement is met through transfer credit as necessary. Determine what requirements you have completed by looking at your Transfer Credit Evaluation and finding the categories that are marked as complete.

For all remaining general education categories on the registration form, please choose your top three course preferences. A student enrichment counselor will complete your first-semester registration based on your final Transfer Credit Evaluation and your preferences on this form.

Current Students

Current students register for courses through WebAdvisor. Learn more.

What classes should I take?

Refer to the Academic Planning Guides for help in choosing courses for your major. Remember that these are NOT the catalog — you must still make sure that you are following the catalog from the year you entered. The planning guides change every year, and are designed by each department as guides, or academic road maps.

What are quad classes?

Quad classes are typically 2 credit classes and last for 7.5 weeks at a time. There are “A” quad classes which are offered the first 7.5 weeks of the fall and spring semesters and “B” quad classes which are offered the second half of the fall and spring semesters.

How can I tell who my advisor is?

Once you have registered, you will be assigned a faculty advisor who can assist you in planning your educational experience. You can email your faculty advisor through WebAdvisor in the My North Park portal by choosing the student communication tools.

Declaring a Major

What is major declaration?

This is the process of telling North Park what major you are pursuing. Acceptance into North Park University does not guarantee acceptance into the program that you are choosing to pursue as some majors (such as nursing) have additional requirements that students must meet. You can declare your major after completing one full semester of courses at North Park as long as you are in good academic standing.

How does the major declaration process work?

You will be assigned a faculty advisor as soon as you register at North Park University, based on your intended major. At the end of your first semester you should complete the Major Declaration Form. If you declare a major different from the intended major you indicated at enrollment you will be reassigned to a faculty advisor in the correct department.

Campus Life

How do I get involved on campus?

Student groups, including CLASS, the student government organization on campus, use a service called OrgSync to announce and promote campus organizations and activities in which you can participate. You can log into OrgSync using your North Park system username and password, after you have set up your account with IT. 

Bridge and Voyage are two programs designed to get you connected quickly during your transition to North Park, and University Ministries is a great way to connect with faith-based service and discipleship opportunities.

I live off campus, are there activities for commuter students?

Yes! Students who live off campus are welcome and encouraged to join North Park University’s many clubs and events for student. Check out what's available on OrgSync and sign up!

What if I'm not sure what I'm looking for?

The Campus Life and Services section of the website is designed to give you an overview of the many facets of North Park's campus, and a quick connection to everything you need. Check it out!

How do I get a parking pass and where should I park?

You can pay for and receive a parking pass from Student Administrative Services, located on the first floor of the Student Services Building. This permit allows you to park in one of several University parking lots. Refer to the campus map to see your choices.

What types of support services does North Park offer?

North Park University's picturesque center campus.