Assistant Professor of Chemistry
At North Park since: 2011
“North Park is a wonderful environment to teach chemistry in,” says Dr. Anne Vázquez. “Small class sizes allow me to really get to know my students, and to do exciting experiments in my labs.”
Dr. Vázquez’s master’s degree in post-secondary science education, along with her doctorate in chemistry, have led to a major research focus in understanding how different writing activities impact learning in chemistry, as well as how different student populations approach and learn chemistry. She enjoys doing research alongside her students in North Park’s Chemistry Department and invites them to join her in not only carrying out assignments, but also to develop new ones. Recently, a chemistry major worked with Dr. Vázquez to design a new experiment using gas chromatography for use in the survey of organic chemistry course. This is one of the ways she encourages her students to take an active role in their own education—so that they can get the best education.
Dr. Vázquez's research interests include both the fields of chemical education and spectroscopy. Learn more about her specific research projects, through which she is studying student motivations and perceptions of supplemental learning resources as well as the mechanism of organic pollutant binding to soil.
Dr. Vázquez teaches Survey of Organic Chemistry and Survey of Biochemistry courses, as well as Analytical Chemistry and Physical Chemistry. She is also the faculty advisor for the Chemistry Club. She encourages students to utilize the city of Chicago as their extended classroom from exploring the city’s museums to connecting with other chemists—from both universities and industry—to learn about cutting-edge research and career options.
- PhD, Chemistry, University of Michigan
- MS, Post-Secondary Science Education, University of Michigan
- BS, Chemistry, Muhlenberg College
- Evelyn Aucutt, Sari Higgins, Anne Vazquez. "Supplemental instruction in introductory biochemistry." The Biennial Conference on Chemistry Education. Grand Valley State University, Michigan, August 2014.
- Ngan Ngo and Anne V. Vázquez. "Mechanism of the interaction between alkylphenols and humic substances." North Park University Undergraduate Research Symposium. North Park University, Chicago, Illinois, April 2014.
- Matthew Baumer and Anne V. Vázquez. "Effect of writing-to-teach wiki activities on attitudes and learning outcomes of introductory organic and biochemistry students." National American Chemical Society Meeting, Indianapolis, Indiana, September 2013.