Repeat a Course
A student has the option of repeating any course, either by examination, if appropriate and approved by the department, or by re-registering under the following stipulations:
- A course may be repeated by examination following the usual rules for credit-by-examination or department policy in the discipline concerned. The CLEP examination may not be used for the purpose of gaining credit in a failed class.
- Permission to repeat a course must be obtained from the Office of Student Administrative Services before registration. Courses repeated without permission will be averaged with the grade received in the previous attempt.
- All grades will remain on a student’s transcript.
- Three courses with a grade of D or F may be repeated with only the second grade counting in each course. Students wishing to repeat more than three courses with a grade of D or F may do so with the second grade averaged.
- Classes with grades higher than D that are repeated will have the second grade averaged.
- The most current grade received will be the determining grade for the course (not the higher of the two grades earned). Courses repeated without permission will be averaged with the grade received in the previous attempt.
- Transfer coursework used to repeat a North Park course will be averaged with the original grade earned at North Park University. Students may petition the Repetition of Courses policies by written appeal to the Student Academic Standing Committee.
If a student wishes to repeat a course in which a passing grade was received, the student must have approval from the Student Academic Standing Committee.
To repeat a course, you will need to fill out the Request to Repeat a Course form and return it to the Office of Student Administrative Services. If the course is closed, you will need to have instructor's consent on an add form which should be attached to the repeat request form.