- Greeting Cards
- Lyrics/Jingle writing
- Science and medical writing
Government agencies including:
- Broadcast media companies including television, radio, and the movie industry
- Trade, professional, or consumer publications
- Internet sites
- Large corporations
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Defense
- Department of State
- Veterans Affairs
- National Archives and Records Admin.
Information & Strategies
- Select elective coursework in a particular area of interest.
- Write for campus publications such as college newspapers, magazines, or departmental/program newsletters
- Volunteer to assist or tutor students in a writing center.
- For technical writing positions obtain a concentration in technical writing. Take science and/or computer courses to gain knowledge about technical areas and trends.
- Become familiar with the proposal writing and submission process involved in freelance writing.
- Gain as much experience as possible through volunteer positions, internships, or part-time jobs.
- Demonstrate patience and persistence in starting a career in writing.