- Air quality
- Water resources
- Federal, state, regional, and local government
- Consulting firms
- Real estate development companies
- Law firms
- Architectural firms
- Market research companies
- Colleges and universities
- Nonprofit groups
Information & Strategies
- Get on planning boards, commissions, and committees.
- Have a planning specialty (transportation, water, resources, air quality, etc.).
- Master communication, mediation, and writing skills.
- Network in the community and get to know "who's who" in your specialty area.
- Develop a strong scientific or technical background.
- Diversify your knowledge base. For example, in areas of law, economics, politics, historical preservation, or architecture.