- Type design
- Magazine design
- Newspaper design
- Book publishing
- Publication design
- Brochure/newsletter design
- Cover design: book, CD, video
- Label design
- Publicity pieces
- Advertising layout
- Photo editing/Photoshop art
- Identity design: logo design
- Publishers including magazine, periodical, book, directory, newspaper
- Design firms
- Advertising agencies
- Publishing houses
- Business form companies
- Publicity firms
- In-house creative departments
- Large retail stores
- Nonprofit organizations
- Government agencies
Information & Strategies
- Graphic designers have a hand in creating countless items, large and small, from posters to identity systems and much more. Research all the niche areas and then gain the tools and technological skills to succeed in that area.
- Assemble an impressive portfolio of work samples.
- Complete a related internship to gain relevant experience and to contribute to your portfolio.
- Work on campus publications in design or layout or find a part-time position with a local publication.
- Develop excellent communication skills and learn to work well on a team of professionals.
- Volunteer to create brochures, newsletters, or other publications for campus organizations.
- Develop problem-solving skills, attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Join professional associations as a student member.
- Become knowledgeable in production and printing processes.
- Develop broad software application skills in Mac and PC based programs but not at the cost of developing a solid background in design.
- Participate in local or campus design contests.