Hospital specialties include:
Occupational or industrial health
- Critical care
- Women's health
- Newborn intensive care
- Cancer treatment
- Psychiatric/Mental health
- Operating room/Recovery room
- Various others
- Clinics and medical centers
- Physicians' offices and medical groups
- Outpatient surgery centers
- Home health agencies
- Extended care facilities: nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, hospices
- Psychiatric hospitals and mental health agencies
- Educational institutions
- Large corporations
Information & Strategies
- Gain experience through externship or internship programs.
- Work or volunteer in healthcare and medical settings during summers and breaks.
- Take electives in areas such as wellness, holistic health, medical ethics, and death and dying.
- Develop good organizational skills and the ability to handle stress.
- Develop patience, ability to work with both patients and families for long periods, and good listening skills.
- Be prepared to work nights, weekends, and holidays in a hospital setting.
- Obtain a master's degree for positions such as nurse practitioner, clinical specialist, or nurse administrator.
- Cultivate managerial skills for head nurse or other supervisory positions.