Grievance Policy

In the event of a disagreement between student and faculty or another university employee over an issue of accommodations, the student should first meet with the faculty member or other university employee to seek resolution. If unsuccessful, the student will make an appeal to the department chair person. If necessary, the appeal will be forwarded to the director of the faculty and if unresolved to the dean, who is the final arbiter of the grievance. In cases of appeal, the faculty member's divisional peers may be asked by the dean to decide as to the merit of the appeal and the assignment of the grade. The student has the right to be represented by counsel.

Students talk and relax on the green space.