Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify for financial aid?

You will be considered for North Park scholarships by the Admission Office. The Financial Aid Office will ensure that this aid is credited to your account. If you are interested in obtaining need-based aid and/or federal student loans, you need to complete the FAFSA. North Park's School Code is 001735. You (and your parent, if you are a dependent student), will need your PIN to sign the form electronically. Once you have been admitted to North Park, we’ve received your scholarship information from Admissions, and we’ve received your FAFSA, we will send you a financial aid package.

Do I have to file a FAFSA every year?

Yes. The FAFSA must be completed every year that you wish to be eligible for federal aid, including student loans. You (and your parent, if you are a dependent student) will use the same PIN to sign your FAFSA each year.

What is an EFC and how is it used to determine my eligibility for financial aid?

When you file the FAFSA, the information you report is used to calculate your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Your EFC is the amount of money the federal government thinks that you and your family can pay for a year of school. Your EFC is used to determine your eligibility for financial aid.

Do I need to file my taxes before I apply for financial aid?

We recommend filing the FAFSA by February 1, especially if you are an undergraduate Illinois resident who wishes to be considered for the Illinois Map Grant. You may complete the form by using estimated income information.  If you do use estimated figures, you should review the income information originally reported on the FAFSA after you file your income taxes, and make any necessary changes to your form online.

What should I do if changes occur after I file the FAFSA?

If a change in your current family situation occurs, such as loss of employment or income, separation or divorce, and any other situation that may affect your family's ability to contribute to the cost of education, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss filing an appeal.

I just received my financial aid package, but it's not going to cover my expenses. Are there any other options?

Student Administrative Services can discuss setting up a payment plan to assist you in paying your outstanding balance. If you need additional funding, please contact your financial aid advisor. They may be able to increase your loan amounts for the current term. Learn more about Student Loans.

Do I get any sort of a discount for having kids in college at the same time that I am attending school?

Unfortunately, the government does not make any allowance for parents of college-age children who themselves attend college.

How do student loans work? When will I get my money?

Once you complete the loan documents, your loan will be processed. The funds will come electronically from the government, and will post to your North Park student account about a month into the term. You will receive an email when the funds have arrived. If/when you have a credit on your account (more aid than what you are being charged), you will receive a refund check for that amount. You will receive another email if/when your refund check is ready.

Can I use my student loan funds for other things, such as buying books or a computer?

If you have a credit on your account (more aid than what you are being billed), then you can use those excess funds for additional educational expenses. Once all of your aid has posted to your account, and your charges have been paid in full, you will receive a refund check for the credit amount on your account. If you need funds for books prior to your aid arriving on campus, you can request up to $500 in a cash advance for books from Student Administrative Services by calling (773) 244-5560.

Can I get financial aid in the summer?

For traditional undergraduates, there are no grants or scholarships for the summer term. You may have loan eligibility for the summer term, but only if you did not borrow your annual loan amount during the fall and spring semesters. Check with the Financial Aid Office to see if you still have loan funds that you can borrow. You must be enrolled for at least six credit hours to receive any leftover loan funds.

Adult degree completion and graduate students can receive financial aid over the summer as these programs run year round.

I have an academic scholarship, but my grades have improved while at North Park. Can I get a better academic scholarship now?

We do not revisit academic scholarships for returning students. We do not award scholarships based on your academic performance at North Park University.

Do you offer athletic scholarships?

No. North Park University is a Division III school, and does not offer any athletic scholarships.

What is verification?

About a third of our students are randomly selected for a process called verification. We are required to collect copies of your (and your parent's/spouse's) tax information and W-2s to verify that the information provided on your FAFSA is accurate. If you are selected for verification, you will be notified by the Financial Aid Office to submit these documents. Your financial aid will be "unofficial" until verification has been completed.

We make a lot of money. Is it worth my time to file a FAFSA?

We recommend that you file the FAFSA at least for your first year. It is impossible to determine from just income level what financial aid you may receive. Many other factors play a role in determining your financial aid eligibility, such as size of household and/or number in college. The FAFSA is free and only takes a small amount of time to complete. Also keep in mind that you cannot borrow student loans without a FAFSA on file.

My parents are divorced. Which parent should list his/her income information on the FAFSA?

If your parents have divorced or separated, answer the questions about the parent you lived with more during the past 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the last 12 months, or during the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent. If the parent whose information you supplied on the FAFSA has remarried, you must include your step-parent's information on the FAFSA as well.


Billing Frequently Asked Questions

How often should I expect a bill?

The first bills for the fall semester are mailed out in early July to students who have preregistered. We start sending out bills in mid-December to students that are preregistered for the spring term. You will receive a paper bill ONLY ONCE at the start of each semester, and then receive electronic billing notifications to your Vikings email account every month thereafter that you have an outstanding balance on your account. You can always view your bill online through WebAdvisor.

What will be included in my bill?

Charges for tuition, room and board, lab fees, health insurance (if applicable), and any other charges that you have incurred will be on your bill.

I'm having some trouble reading my paper bill. What should I do?

We put together a mock bill to help you understand your statement of accounts. You can also contact Student Administrative Services with specific questions.

I'm having some trouble figuring out my statement of accounts in WebAdvisor.  What should I do?
We have put together some helpful information about using the Student Finance tool in WebAdvisor. You can also contact Student Administrative Services with specific questions.

Do I have to take the school's health insurance?

If you are enrolled full-time as a traditional undergraduate student or are taking six hours per semester in the Seminary, you are required to have health insurance. If you are covered under another policy, please complete the online waiver that provides us with proof that you are covered by another policy. Students attending other programs are not required to provide proof of insurance, but do have the option to purchase the policy offered by North Park.

Where will my statements be mailed?

Statements will be mailed to your permanent address. If you would like your bill sent to a different address, please contact Student Administrative Services.

Are there penalties for paying my bills after the due date?

Traditional undergraduate students who have not made payment arrangements by the tuition due date will be assessed a $50 late payment fee. Accounts that have an outstanding balance, and are not on a payment plan will be assessed a 1.5 percent per month late payment fee. If you have not enrolled in a payment plan or paid in full by the end of the fourth week, you may have your registration pulled and will no longer be registered as a North Park student. Additionally, this will result in the suspension of campus privileges such as housing, Helwig Recreation Center, and other student activities.

I have a business office hold on my account. What should I do?

A business hold will be put on your account if you have an outstanding balance, and have not made any payment arrangements. You need to contact Student Administrative Services to discuss your payment options and plans.

My employer will pay for my tuition. How do I make those arrangements?

You must complete an Employer Reimbursement Form and submit documentation from your employer, confirming said benefits. There is a $75 annual fee for this payment plan. These documents must be submitted annually (every August).

Why isn't work-study on my bill?

While work-study is a financial aid award, it does not appear on your bill. Instead, you will be paid every two weeks for the hours that you worked. You can use your earned funds for whatever you'd like, including directing them toward your bill.

I want to drop a class. How will that impact my bill?

It depends on what type of class you'd like to drop (semester vs. quad class) and when you are dropping it. Our tuition and fees policies is a good place to start to get an idea about your charges. In addition, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to see if your aid would be impacted if you change your registration.

Can I pay my bill online?

Yes. Payments can be made online through Web Advisor.  You can also view your real time financial aid and billing information online through Web Advisor.