Financial Aid Eligiblity

In order to receive need-based financial aid, you must:

  • Be enrolled at least half-time/semester in a degree program.  Half-time attendance for undergraduate students is six credit hours.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Be a US Citizen or eligible non-citizen/permanent resident
  • Be registered with the Selective Service, if required
  • Not be in default on federal student loans or payments at any other institutions
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Complete a FAFSA

Financial aid packages generally stay the same from year to year. Changes to your package could occur if:

  • Your EFC (estimated family contribution; calculated when you complete the FAFSA) drastically increases or decreases
  • If a portion of your institutional need-based financial aid was awarded because you were expected to live on-campus, and you do not live in on-campus housing, then your financial aid will be reduced up to $2500 a year.
  • You do not complete verification. The government selects approximately 30% of our students to be verified each year. You must turn in documents as specified by the Financial Aid Office. All state and federal aid will be put on hold until this is completed.
  • You do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • You drop classes. If you drop below 12 hours/semester, your federal aid will be reduced and you will lose your institutional aid. You must be enrolled for at least six hours/semester to keep your student loans. If you are an Illinois resident receiving the Illinois Map Grant, you must maintain 15 hours/semester to receive your full award.

Financial aid eligibility at North Park University