About the Team
North Park's Viking Cheer Team is a co-ed athletic cheer-performance program. All skill levels are welcome—from beginners to experts. The only requirement is that you're ready to work hard and have fun.
Viking Cheerleaders support North Park athletes at home football and basketball games and also compete at cheer events during the spring semester.
Apply for a cheer team scholarship by submitting a video audition by April 15. Please adhere to following in your video:
- Dress accordingly (hair, clothing, makeup); make sure there are no elements that distract from your performance. Simple is often the best choice.
- Maximum video length should be two to four minutes
- Begin the video with a brief introduction that includes your name, hometown, high school, and how long you have been cheering/dancing
- The first 30 seconds to 1 minute should be choreography of your choice that showcases your talents and strengths. This must be a solo performance (other than stunting)
- For the remainder of the video time (up to three minutes), show your other techniques, tumbling, and trick. Examples should include, but are not limited to, cheer/motions, tumbling, jumps (pike, hurdler, toe-touch, double toe-touch), and stunting (base, backspot, flyer, and co-ed if it applies)
Scholarship announcements will be made at team tryouts on Saturday, May 3, 2014. We encourage you to visit North Park over this weekend in order participate in tryouts alongside other current and future students. If you cannot attend tryouts on May 3, the coaches will, with your permission, use your scholarship audition video as your tryout video. You can indicate this on the audition application form.
If you are selected to receive a cheer scholarship, you must participate in the cheer team for the entire academic year. This includes:
- Maintaining full-time enrollment at North Park University (at least 12 semester hours in both the fall and spring semesters)
- Maintaining academic eligibility and team standards
- Attending all cheer practices on a regular basis, including weekdays and weekends
- Performing with the team at games and competitions throughout the year
Apply for a Cheer Scholarship
The 2014 deadline has passed for the Cheer Scholarship. Scholarships will be announced at team tryouts on Saturday, May 3, and will be listed on your financial aid letter when that is issued.