Getting Help

What should I do if I experience sexual violence?

The most important step is to get to safety and then seek immediate medical assistance.

  • If you're on-campus, contact the Office for Counseling and Health Services at (773) 244-4897 and/or Campus Safety and Security at (773) 244-5780. A University staff person will be contacted to assist you and to provide counsel and support. Immediate medical assistance will be arranged.
  • If you're off-campus, seek help at the nearest hospital or police station, or by dialing 9-1-1 or activating your LifeLine Response app.

If personal safety or getting medical assistance is not an immediate concern, you may also seek support and counseling from the following campus offices:

  • Residence Life, (773) 244-5555
  • Dean of Students, (773) 244-5655
  • Campus Pastor, (773) 244-4982
  • Seminary Student Services, (773) 244-6219
  • Human Resources, (773) 244-5601

Though it may be uncomfortable, evidence of your assault should be preserved:

  • If a rape has occurred, refrain from bathing, showering, washing hands, or changing clothing before the medical exam. (The decision to press charges does not have to be made at this time. However, following these procedures will help preserve this option for the future.)
  • The location where the assault occurred should not be disturbed; avoid touching or moving anything until Campus Safety and Security or police have investigated.
  • Attempt to recall the physical description of the offender (clothing worn, age, height, weight, hair color, facial hair, etc.). It may be helpful to write the description down—details may be forgotten, especially in stressful circumstances.

Promptly report incidents of sexual violence to Campus Safety and Security and consider reporting the incident to the appropriate police department. Reports and victims will be treated with respect and confidentiality. The victim may request that an advocate accompany the victim during questioning and that an officer of the same gender as the victim conduct the questioning.

Report the incident to the Title IX Coordinator, Title IX Deputy Coordinator, or a Responsible Employee.

Title IX Coordinator

Ingrid Tenglin
Director of Human Resources
Old Main, 3rd floor
(773) 244-5601

Deputy Title IX Coordinators

Elizabeth Snezek
Dean of Students
Center for Student Engagement, Johnson Center, room 151
(773) 244-5664

Deb Auger
Seminary Dean of Students and Community Life
Nyvall Hall, 1st floor
(773) 244-6222

Responsible Employees

All University administrators (vice presidents, deans, directors), faculty, head coaches, and resident directors, along with staff members of Campus Safety and Security and the Office of Human Resources, are designated as “Responsible Employees.” If you make a report to one of these individuals, they will help you bring your report to the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Coordinators.

Seek support from a good friend, family member or other person with whom you feel comfortable. If you don’t have someone to turn to, contact a Title IX Advocate or these campus resources:

North Park students walk across campus.