Credit by Examination
North Park University provides students the opportunity to meet prerequisites and fulfill requirements through Credit by Examination. However, it is up to each individual department to determine if this is an option for a student. Students should talk to the corresponding department and/or professor to confirm that Credit by Examination is an option for the subject in which the student wishes to be tested prior to completing any additional steps.
Credit by Examination is awarded according to the guidelines below.
The student's responsibilities are:
- to obtain an Examination Grade Report form the student should contact the Office of Student Enrichment Services and Support. There is a $42.00 fee for this form.
- to schedule an appointment with the department and/or professor to administer the desired test. If North Park University cannot offer Credit by Examination in the subject the student wishes to be tested the student may be required to seek testing at another institution. In this case, the student may be required to pay addition testing fees to the other institution.
- to bring the Examination Grade Report to the scheduled appointment. The test administrator is to complete this form and indicate the level of the student's performance.
- to return the completed Examination Grade Report to the Office of Student Enrichment Services and Support for the credit hours or exemption to be recorded on the student's transcripts.
- A student will be assessed a posting fee to have the credit posted to his/her transcript.
- A student may receive no more than 8 semester hours of credit in any given department.
- A student may not test for lower level/ability courses after he/she has started an advanced course in a subject.
- A student qualifies to receive credit upon the receipt of a grade of B or better, a 'P' for passing will be recorded on the student's permanent record.
What is the difference between an exemption and receiving credit hours?
An exemption is when the student has fulfilled the requirement but no credit is awarded.
To receive credit hours, the student must pay a posting fee per credit hour to have the credit appear on the transcript. There are additional guidelines if you are interested in Foreign Language Credit by Examination.
Where do I begin?
Start by stopping by the Office of Student Enrichment Services and Support located on the 2nd floor of the Student Services Building.
Guidelines and policies are subject to change without notification.