2013 University Honors Convocation Recognizes Outstanding Students, Employees
North Park's 2013 Distinguished Seniors are Fatima Kukaswadia, left, and Timothy Ahlberg.
Timothy Ahlberg, Fatima Kukaswadia named Distinguished Seniors
CHICAGO (April 24, 2013) — North Park University honored outstanding seniors April 22 for excellence in academic achievement, service, and leadership at the 2013 Honors Convocation in Anderson Chapel. One faculty member and one staff member were also recognized for outstanding work.
Two students, Timothy Ahlberg, Perrysburg, Ohio, and Fatima Kukaswadia, Chicago, were named recipients of the Distinguished Senior Award, recognizing superior leadership, service, and academic performance. Ahlberg and Kukaswadia were chosen from a group of five finalists.
Ahlberg, a business and economics major, with a concentration in accounting, and a minor in Spanish, is president of the North Park student body. He was goalkeeper for the Vikings men's soccer team for four seasons, captain in his senior year, and was named an all-conference and all-district player. Twice he was named an Academic All-American. After graduation next month, Ahlberg will spend time in Thailand this summer through Global Partnerships and will intern with PricewaterhouseCoopers. This fall he will begin a nine-month assignment in Mexico as part of a U.S Fulbright student program award in international business.
Kukaswadia will also graduate with a bachelor of science degree in business and economics, with a concentration in accounting. Kukaswadia, who lives in the North Park neighborhood, was born in Pakistan and moved to Chicago at age three. She is president of the University's South Asian Student Association, a member of the North Park Business Club, and a lifetime member in Delta Mu Delta, a business honor society.
Two University employees were recognized. The C.L.A.S.S. (Campus Life Associations and Student Senate) Service Award was presented to Ashley Ritter, University career development and internship coordinator. The award is honors a staff member who actively engages with students and embodies the University's mission. Dr. Al Kamienski, associate professor of finance, School of Business and Nonprofit Management, was presented the Zenos Hawkinson Award for Teaching and Campus Leadership. That award recognizes a faculty member who has made a significant contribution to teaching and leadership at the University.
In addition, top seniors named by academic departments of the College of Arts and Sciences, and professional schools were recognized:
- Biology: Calise Berger, Eagan, Minn.
- Exercise and Sport: Sarah G. Peterson, Eagan, Minn.
- Psychology: Courtney Petros, Chicago
- Chemistry: Amal Massad, Oak Lawn, Ill.
- Mathematics: Gigi Hoang, Chicago
- Physics: Jeffrey Stafford, Fults, Ill.
- Sociology: Miranda VanderMey, Mount Vernon, Wash.
- Art: Rachel Lindsay, Central Square, N.Y.
- History: Tiia Sahrakorpi, Coral Springs, Fla.
- Politics and Government (J. Scott Wade Memorial Award): Erin Harner, Rockford, Ill.
- English: Rebekah Bishop Putera, Joy, Ill.
- Philosophy (Lindahl Prize for Excellence): Peter Johnson, Bloomington, Minn.
- Communication Arts: Abigail Humber, Omaha, Neb.
- Foreign Language: Olena Boryskina, Norridge, Ill.
- Biblical and Theological Studies: Geovanni Montoya, Schiller Park, Ill.
- School of Business and Nonprofit Management: Sally Saed, Jerusalem
- School of Music: Felicia Patton, Chicago
- School of Nursing (Delores Johnson Award): Naomi Stirbu, Skokie, Ill.
- School of Education: Megan Ford, Rockford
Awards recognizing service and leadership were presented to outstanding University seniors:
- Servant Leadership Award: Joel Brand, St. Paul, Minn.
- Student Laureate Award: Shadae Gatlin, Chicago
- Diversity Award: Shadae Gatlin
- Music Service Award: Monica Laytham, Timonium, Md.
Seven students were recognized for undergraduate research excellence, and presented papers April 23 at a research symposium at Brandel Library. Dr. Mary Adams Trujillo, North Park University professor of communication arts, addressed the award recipients, focusing her remarks on "activist scholarship." Trujillo was the 2012 recipient of the Hawkinson Award.
Use @npunews to follow North Park University News on Twitter. For further information or resources, contact John Brooks, Director of Media Relations and News, via email or at (773) 244-5522. Learn more about North Park University.