Emergency Management Responsibility
President of the University
In the event of an emergency situation, the President has ultimate responsible for authorizing all critical decisions related to the emergency. The President also acts as the official spokesperson for the University unless another person is designated to fill that role. In the event that the President is unavailable at the time of the emergency, the Executive Vice President, who leads the Emergency Management Team, will act in the President’s absence until the emergency has passed or the President is available.
Emergency Management Team
The North Park Emergency Management Team has been created to guide the response in the event of an emergency situation. The team reports to the President of the University. The team is convened and led by the Executive Vice President and meets periodically to review the plan and update information as needed.
The University Emergency Management Team consists of the following:
- Executive Vice President
- Senior Vice President
- Provost and/or designated Dean(s)
- Vice President, Student Development
- Director, Campus Security
- Director, Physical Plant
- Director, External Relations
- Director, Human Resources
- Director, Information Technology
- Dean of Students, Seminary
- Director of Student Administrative Services Emergency Communications Team
One of the most important aspects of an emergency response is the communication of the situation to audiences important to the University. It is the responsibility of the Emergency Communications Team to:
- Establish a center of control for information about the emergency
- Disseminate timely and accurate information about the emergency to various audiences connected to the University including students, faculty, staff, Board of Trustees, media, parents, general public and alumni.
- Limit the negative impact and long term public relations damage related to the emergency situation
The Emergency Communications Team is convened by the Director, External Relations and includes:
- President’s Senior Administrative Team
- Director, External Relations
- Director of Admission
- Director Student Administrative Services
All emergency communications are to be channeled through the Office of External Relations in consultation with the Office of the President and the Emergency Communications Team in a timely and straightforward manner.
Emergency Preparedness Team
It is equally important to have a team that actively prepares the campus people and property for a potential emergency. The Executive Vice President, the Director of Physical Plant, and the Director of Campus Security have key roles in assuring that the University is prepared for emergencies.
This team is convened as necessary by the Executive Vice President. This team may plan emergency simulations from time-to-time to assess the readiness of the campus’ response to potential emergencies. Others will be invited to join this team depending upon the specific readiness issue under consideration.