Academic Dean and Professor of New Testament
Classes taught: New Testament Greek; Greek Exegesis; Interpreting the New Testament I and II; The Gospel of John; 1 Corinthians; The Letters of Peter and Jude
At North Park since: 2006
Dr. Stephen Chester tells students considering seminary at North Park that they should be prepared to be changed, and to engage in their program as whole people. “Be ready to study, but also to explore your calling and to be stretched in actual ministry contexts,” he says, “including internships and clinical pastoral education.”
Ordained in the Presbyterian denomination of the Church of Scotland, Dr. Chester holds a ministry license with the Evangelical Covenant Church. He came to North Park looking for a way to combine a commitment to preparing students for ministry and a deep concern for the mission of the church with opportunities for scholarship.
At North Park Theological Seminary, Dr. Chester finds that “the life of the mind, the goal of practical ministry, and the need for a deep devotional life are held together as equal values.” His classes are serious about the subject matter, but relaxed and personal, he says. “One of the best things about North Park is that students and professors have real opportunities to get to know each other.”
- PhD, University of Glasgow
- Bachelor of Divinity, University of Glasgow
- BA, History, University of York
- Stephen Chester. Righteousness in Christ: Paul, the Reformers, and the New Perspective. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, forthcoming.
- Stephen Chester, Grant Osborne, Mark Seifrid, and Chad Brand. Perspectives on our Struggle with Sin: Three Views of Romans 7. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2011.
- Stephen Chester. Conversion at Corinth: Perspectives on Conversion in Paul’s Theology and the Corinthian Church (Studies of the New Testament and its World). London and New York: T&T Clark International, 2003.