Transfer Tips for the Year
These monthly tips and suggestions can help you make the most of your first semester here at North Park University.
- Participate in Threshold (new student orientation).
- Email your faculty advisor and introduce yourself to faculty during Threshold.
- Contact your transfer counselor with any questions or concerns you may have.
- Email your faculty advisor to introduce yourself and set up a meeting.
- Create your academic timeline; identify what classes you have left to take and when you plan on completing them.
- Join a group tutoring session or seek out other assistance.
- Prepare for first-quad final exams.
- Create a list of classes you would like to register for in the spring and meet with your faculty advisor in order to prepare for registration.
- Seek advice from your faculty advisor and other professors on your major choice.
- Register for classes (current students).
- Take advantage of group tutoring opportunities to gear up for final exams.
- Think about restructuring your schedule to allow for study time needed for finals.
- Talk to your professors about final exams.
- Register for classes if you have not already done so. Contact your transfer advisor if you need assistance.
- Attend the CLASS annual Thanksgiving dinner!
- Blow off some steam at Helwig!
- Gather a group of classmates to prepare for finals.
- Grab your finals week treat bag.
- Celebrate with your graduating friends at commencement on Friday, December 14.
- Don't leave campus without registering for classes. Contact your transfer counselor if you need assistance.
- Introduce yourself to your professors.
- Introduce yourself to a classmate.
- Email your faculty advisor and introduce yourself.
- Connect with other students at Bridge Events.
- Plan on attending the Major Fair at North Park event — Carlson Lobby, Monday, February 4, 10:30–11:30 am.
- Complete the Transfer of Major Course Form.
- You can drop classes through January 18. After this date, you will need the signature of a professor to make any changes to your schedule.
- Check your Vikings email account. If you haven't set it up, go to account management.
- Create a personal schedule that includes any work responsibility, team responsibilities, class schedule, and study time.
- Get your photo taken for your student ID card. Go to Administrative Services to get your picture taken and a copy of your student identification picture.
- Complete the Helwig release form online. (Instructions here). This will grant you access to the Helwig Recreation Center.
- Purchase a parking pass from Student Administrative Services:
$100 for commuter students
$200 for residential students
- Attend a basketball game; the men's schedule can be found here, and the women's schedule can be found here.
- Consider planning a Spring Break trip.
- Look out for the next Transfer Student Event.
- Join an intramural sports team.
- Attend the Voyage event: "Investigating Grad School," Tuesday, February 26, 3:30–4:30 pm. Location: Brandel Library in the Helwig Conference Room
- If you haven't already done so, email your advisor introducing yourself and set up a meeting.
- Create your academic timeline. Identify what classes you have left to take and when you plan on completing them.
- Declare a major. Refer to the transfer student FAQ for instructions on how to declare a major. Refer to the "steps to choosing a major" tool.
- Consider taking a challenge exam.
- Join a study group.
- Ask for help if you need it. Stop by Student Enrichment and Support Services in order to be connected to any resources that you may need, or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or (773) 244-5570.
- Check your Vikings email account.
- Become familiar with Moodle and My North Park
- Contact Student Services if you have any questions about your Illinois Map Grant: email@example.com, (773) 244-5560.
- Take a trip. Enjoy Spring Break!
- Create a list of classes you would like to register for in the fall.
- Consider taking summer classes.
- Join a study group.
- Meet with your advisor in order to prepare for registration.
- Seek consult on your major choice.
- Register for classes on WebAdvisor (current students)
- Check your Vikings email.
- Attend the Voyage event "Planning Your Career Path," Tuesday, March 6, 3:30–4:30 pm. Location: Brandel Library in the Helwig conference room
- Talk to someone about your career interests.
- Contact Career Development to discuss summer internships. (773) 244-5575
- Identify a professor that you feel comfortable talking to and share your career interests.
- Make any necessary financial arrangements with student services.
- Think about housing for next semester.
- Attend a North Park baseball game.
- Attend a Cubs game, Tuesday, April 30, 7:05 pm — $5. Meet in Magnuson lobby at 7:05 pm to travel together to Wrigley Field. Students must sign up for tickets on OrgSync.
- Join a study group.
- Prepare for finals.
- Think about taking summer classes.
- Look at scholarships for the fall semester.
Have a great summer!