Association Professor of Education
Coordinator, master of arts in educational leadership program
Expertise: Educational leadership; ethical leadership; superintendency; supervision and curriculum development
At North Park since: 2010
Dr. Sally Pryor came to North Park to launch the School of Education’s master of arts in educational leadership program. “The program is ideally suited to teachers who have an interest in leading schools in this era of accountability,” she says.
One of the ways the Dr. Pryor helps students develop this interest is through her curriculum’s emphasis on the importance of ethical leadership. “Students will discuss real-life situations that leaders face every day as they work with diverse student bodies,” she says.
All of her program’s candidates are required to complete field-based experiences with students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12 settings with a wide array of students. Through these experiences, Dr. Pryor’s students are given the skills to develop into educational leaders who can meet the challenges of many school contexts. “Our candidates are prepared to lead schools with diverse student populations,” she says.
Dr. Pryor is familiar with what it takes to be a leaders in the world of education, drawing from her own extensive experience as a teacher, principal, and superintendent. She taught a variety of grade levels (1-6) during her nine years as an elementary teacher. She also served as a principal for 9 years, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction for 6 years, and superintendent of schools in Park Ridge-Niles District 64 for 7 years before retiring and coming to North Park University.
Dr. Pryor is a member of, among other associations, the Illinois Council of Professors of Educational Administration, the Illinois Principals Association, and the American Association of School Administrators. She also volunteers with the Working in the Schools (WITS) program, working with third grade students at a local elementary school.
- EdD, Educational Leadership, Western Michigan University
- Certificate of Advanced Study, Curriculum and Instruction, National College of Education
- MS, Reading/Education, Nazareth College
- BA, History, Nazareth College
Recent Presentations and Publications
- Sally Pryor. “The Present State of the Superintendency.” Presentation to the Midwest Superintendents Summer Symposium, Chicago (Aug. 2008).
- Sally Pryor. “Assessing the Whole Child: Standardized Tests Don’t Tell the Whole Story.” Presentation to the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development 62nd Annual Conference. Anaheim (March 2007).
- Sally Pryor and Fred Schroeder. “Multiple Measures: Beginning with Ends.” The School Administrator (Dec. 2001).