Health Insurance

Effective for the 2015–2016 academic year, North Park University will no longer require proof of insurance coverage for our domestic full-time undergraduate or part-time Seminary students. International students will continue to be required to have health insurance as a condition of their visas, etc. There may be additional coverage requirements for student athletes

The current North Park University Health Insurance Plan, administered by the University and Associated Insurance Plans International (AIP), will not be renewed for the 2015–2016 academic year, and there will no longer be an insurance plan billed through North Park. For those currently covered by AIP, coverage will end on August 31, 2015. If you have any questions about your existing 2014–2015 benefits, please contact AIP directly by phone at (800) 452-5772 or via email.

We strongly encourage you to obtain health insurance coverage prior to the start of the upcoming academic year. There are many options for health insurance coverage outside the University.

  • Coverage under a parent’s employer insurance plan. For those under the age of 26, you may qualify to enroll as a dependent on an insurance policy held by your parent. Contact your parent’s employer for more information.
  • AIP will continue to offer a voluntary plan for North Park students.  One of the features of this plan is that it will provide 100% reimbursement for covered treatment received at Health Services with the deductible waived.  This policy will not be billed by the University.  More details about this plan are available online.
  • Individual coverage through your state insurance marketplace. Coverage is available for individual enrollment through the insurance marketplace in the state in which you are a permanent resident. Complete the questionnaire to view plans for which you may qualify. Depending on your household income, you may qualify for a subsidy for coverage purchased through your state marketplace.
  • Individual health insurance plans available on the open market (outside the official state marketplace).

As you review your options, the following elements of an insurance plan are worth considering:

  • Premium: While many plans offer “cheaper” premiums, look at the deductibles, co-pays, and coinsurance, as lower premiums frequently result in higher out-of-pocket costs and limited networks. Before making your decision, consider your entire potential out of pocket cost to determine the best value for your needs.
  • Network: Does the network for your plan extend to the Chicago area? Are the doctors that you already see considered in-network?  If you are from out of state, pay special attention to the networks that offer limited HMO networks as they may not cover you in Illinois.
  • Deductible (the amount you must pay before your costs are covered by your insurance coverage): Is this an amount you are prepared to pay before your coverage can be accessed?
  • Coinsurance (the amount insurance pays after the deductible has been paid): Be aware of this coverage as you are responsible for the amount after coinsurance is applied. If your plan has 70% coinsurance, then you would be responsible for the remaining 30%.
  • Co-pays: What is the copay for an office visit with your doctor? Specialist visit? Prescription?

More information, tools, and resources are available to you through the HealthCare.gov website.