HLC Steering Committee
- Provide guidance to the assurance argument process in terms of planning, organization, and timetables.
- Plan the assurance argument, including the committee structure, its membership, the assurance argument timetable, campus-wide meetings and the development of the assurance argument plan.
- Orient and educate both members of the various criterion sub-committees and the campus community regarding the assurance argument process, particularly regarding the concept of institutional effectiveness.
- Inform all constituents of the progress of the assurance argument and coordinate communication among the committees.
- Monitor the entire assurance argument process including focus, research, clarification, drafting, and revision.
- Work with administration and other functioning areas on campus to schedule on-campus workshops and/or assemblies related to the assurance argument process.
- Provide general assistance to the sub-committee and all committees as well as the visit team.
- Develop a system for cataloging and storing evidence in order to build a resource depository for NPU’s assurance argument committees and the Higher Learning Commission visiting team. The coordinator will be assisted by resource team members and other committee members to complete this project.
- Report any non-compliance issues to the provost and upper administration.
- Oversee the final phases of the assurance argument document.
- Serve as a primary liaison to the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and NPU to prepare, if needed, any follow-up concerns noted by the visiting team.
- Through the Office of the Provost, update upper administration and the Board of Trustees on a regular basis.
- Guide the executive committee towards producing an addendum to update the assurance argument report for the HLC visiting team.
Steering Committee Members
Committee Co-Chair: Lisa Bunu Ncube, Associate Provost for Institutional Assessment and Professor
Committee Co-Chair: Sumi Song, Director of Global Education Office of International Affairs
Criteria 1. Mission
Chair: Chris Childers, Assistant Vice President, UMC
Ellen Almer, Senior Content Manager, UMC
Rebekah Putera, Web Content Manager, UMC
Criteria 2. Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct
Chair: Lori Scrementi, Dean, School of Professional Studies
Ann Hicks, Dean & Professor, SBNM
Julie Westerman, Academic Advisor & Course Schedule Coordinator, SPS
Criteria 3. Student Learning and Effective Teaching and
Chair: Ted Zervas, Professor of Education / Coordinator of MATC
Carolyn Poterek, Asst. Professor & Coordinator, K-12 Programs, SOE
Criterion 4. Teaching and Learning: Evaluation and Improvement
Chair: Gregor Thuswaldner, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
Criterion 5. Resources, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness
Chair: Renee Cox, Government, Corporate, and Foundation Relations Manager