CHICAGO (September 19, 2016) — The North Park University community gathered in Anderson Chapel Monday, September 19, for its University Convocation, an annual ceremony honoring the achievements of faculty and staff.
“We often talk on our campus about preparing students for lives of significance and service,” said University President Dr. David Parkyn. “But how does that walk take place? How is it that individuals can work with others and mentor them along the way?” This is accomplished largely through the work of faculty, he said. “It’s our joy today to celebrate that preparation. To come together to acknowledge professional accomplishments and share in applause about the scholarship, artistic creativity, and other good things that go into being an academy.”
The ceremony announced newly promoted and tenured faculty, and recognized faculty and staff who have recently published books, articles, and other scholarly and creative work, including plays, reviews, recordings, staged exhibitions, art installations, and other performances.
Provost Dr. Michael Emerson, along with Parkyn, led the installation of two new administrators, Dr. Gregor Thuswalder, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and professor of humanities; and Dr. Liza Ann Acosta, who will serve as University dean and continue in her role as professor of English.
The University Choir and the Chamber Singers each performed during the ceremony, under the direction of Director of Choral Activities and Associate Professor of Music Dr. Julia Davids, who was also recognized for receiving tenure.
Faculty promotions celebrated include:
- Joan Andrea, professor of nursing
- Daniel White Hodge, associate professor of youth ministry
- Julia Davids, tenure
- Karl Clifton-Soderstrom, professor of philosophy, tenure
Earlier this fall, the University welcomed new faculty and staff at Gathering Day festivities. New faculty welcomed were:
- Lindsey Alexander, visiting professor of biology
- Michael DeVries, professor of psychology and director of the master of arts in counseling psychology
- Karrie Hamstra-Wright, assistant professor of athletic training
- Kristina Kaufman, assistant professor of marketing
- Carol Lynch, associate professor of nursing