Office of the Registrar

Student Records

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Beginning on your first day of classes at North Park University, your educational records here are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Release of your educational records is not allowed without your written consent, including to parents, a spouse, and other family members. Examples of educational records include, but are not limited to, your telephone listing, grades, student billing, financial aid award, discipline records, and medical treatment records.

Before you arrive to campus, you should discuss privacy expectations with your family, including how you and your family will handle bill payment, access to your student records and information, and how you would like your information handled in the case of an emergency. If you wish to allow educational records and information to be released to a parent, guardian, or third party, please complete the FERPA Release Form and return it either via fax to (773) 634-4051, email to or mail to:

North Park University
3225 W Foster Ave, Box 9
Chicago IL 60625

You can authorize any individual you choose, and will provide a four-digit code they will use to verify their identity when calling for information. Information may not be immediately available when requested by a family member or third party, based on the access University officials have to your signed student release form. If necessary, the official will schedule a follow-up call or meeting so that information protection and release procedures may be followed.

FERPA Release Form

Updating Your Information

It’s up to you—and important—to keep your personal information up to date, including your mailing address and phone number. North Park University will use these methods to communicate important information throughout your time as a student. Choose one of the following methods to review and update your details as needed:

  1. Log into Self Service. Click on your username in the upper right-hand corner, and then update your information in User Profile.
  2. Complete the Change of Address form on your computer and email it to Records.
  3. Complete a Change of Address form with the Office of the Registrar.

You may also opt-in separately for campus emergency notifications via text message in your User Profile in Self Service. Learn more about emergency procedures.

Legal Name Change

If you wish to change your legal name, you must provide a legal document to prove your legal name change (a copy of a marriage certificate or a driver’s license). You may bring your copy in person, email scans of completed form and copies of documents to Records, or mail it along with a Change of Name form to Office of the Registrar.

Chosen Name Change

The North Park University community recognizes that some of its members use names other than their legal names to identify and refer to themselves. The University acknowledges that a Chosen Name can and should be used wherever possible in the course of University business and education. The University will strive to use Chosen Name in documents and communication whenever possible.

Therefore, it is the policy of the University that an individual may choose to identify themselves within the University’s information systems with a chosen first, middle, and/or last name in addition to the person’s legal name. It is further understood that the person’s chosen name shall be used where possible in University communications and reporting except when the use of the legal name is required. Inappropriate use of the Chosen Name policy, including but not limited to avoiding a legal obligation, misrepresentation, and the use of offensive language, including profanity or language which has the effect of mockery, may be cause for denying the request.

Examples in which legal name will still appear:

  • Enrollment Inquiries and Verifications
  • Financial Aid
  • Health, Insurance and Medical Documents and Records
  • International Visa Status
  • Official Transcripts
  • Payment/Billing
  • Back of ID card (provided you obtain a new one)
  • W-2 and other tax forms
  • Pay Checks and Advices
  • Other documents requiring legal name

The use of any chosen name at North Park University should not be for purposes of misrepresentation or any other purpose that is unlawful or would violate any North Park University policy or standard. Chosen Name is limited to alphabetical characters, hyphens, and spaces (e.g. no symbols). Reverting back to legal name at any time is permitted.

Please be advised that designating a chosen name in the University’s information systems is not the same as legally changing your name through the court system and/or other processes. An individual’s legal name will remain unchanged in all University-related systems. An individual who wishes to change their legal name in the University’s records can obtain the Name and/or Gender Change Request Form on the Office of the Registrar and/or Human Resources web pages. Concerns or questions should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar and/or Human Resources.

This policy does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered, by North Park University at its discretion. —Updated July 2018

Name and/or Gender Change Request Form

Gender Identity Change

Some individuals’ gender identities differ from their designated gender at birth. North Park University aspires to be a welcoming and inclusive campus that encourages usage of accurate gender identity and pronouns whenever possible.

Any student, alumnus, or employee of North Park University is free to submit a Name and/or Gender Identity Change Form on which they identify their gender identity and/or preferred pronoun. The Office of the Registrar and/or Human Resources, as applicable, will review the Name and/or Gender Change Form. The University reserves the right to deny any such request or reevaluate a previous request if misrepresentation is involved or North Park University’s standards/policies or the law would be or have been potentially implicated or violated.

Gender identity will only be reflected in the University’s official records but may be visible in the Self-Service profile, which is accessible only by the individual. Transcripts and diplomas do not indicate gender identity.

Please note: This policy does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered, by North Park University at its discretion. —Updated July 2018

Name and/or Gender Change Request Form

Permanent Address and Dependent Student Status

All undergraduate students, other than those in the School of Professional Studies, are assumed to be “dependent” students. If you are independent from your parents, you must notify North Park University within 10 calendar days of the start of any term the status applies. All dependent students must maintain their parents’ address as their permanent mailing address.

North Park ID Card

North Park University issues identification cards to all students, faculty, and staff. You are required to carry your ID card with you when you’re on campus. It will serve as your access card to many places and resources:

Lost, Stolen, or Damaged ID Cards

If your North Park ID is lost, stolen, or damaged, you must report it as soon as possible to the Office of the Registrar or Campus Safety. Once reported, the card will be deactivated so it can no longer be used.

Replacements for lost or damaged ID cards cost $10. If you find your lost card before purchasing a new one, you can bring it to the Office of the Registrar to have it reactivated.