Assistant Professor of Education
Expertise: Educational history; ethnic, cultural, and religious education; philosophy of Christian education; American Indian education
At North Park since: 2012
When Dr. John Laukaitis was seeking a place to integrate his faith into his classes, he found the School of Education a perfect fit. “Teaching at North Park provides a unique opportunity to be in the context of Chicago with a diverse student population and be supported in connecting my faith to my classes and my academic discipline,” he says.
At North Park, Dr. Laukaitis sponsors a network chapter of the Christian Educators Association International, which gives his students an opportunity to explore how their faith can help them become more effective and caring teachers. “I hope to provide a richer and deeper experience for students whereby they can understand the importance of having guiding principles and a strong moral foundation for their professional lives,” he says.
As an expert in multicultural education, Dr. Laukaitis prepares teacher candidates to work with diverse learners. “Engaging teacher candidates to think about strategies and approaches that will best serve their students is crucial for them in being effective educators,” he says.
For ten years, Dr. Laukaitis was a high school English teacher and administrator for District 155 in Crystal Lake, Illinois. These experiences along with his ongoing involvement with schools allow him to bridge theory and practice in his classes and his work with future educators.
- PhD, Cultural and Educational Policy Studies, Loyola University Chicago
- MA, Humanities, Northwestern University
- MS, Educational Administration, Northern Illinois University
- BA, English, Southern Illinois University
- John Laukaitis. American Indian Education and Self-Determination in Chicago, 1952–2006. Albany: State University of New York Press, forthcoming.
- John Laukaitis. “The Politics of Language and National School Reform: The Gaelic League’s Call for an Irish Ireland, 1893–1922.” American Educational History Journal vol 37, #1 (2010): 221–235.
- John Laukaitis. “Lyndon Johnson Proposes Legislation to Found ‘Project Head Start’ (1965)” and “Title IX of the Education Amendments Mandates Gender Equality in Educational Opportunity (1972).” In The Encyclopedia of American Reform Movements, edited by John R. McKivigan and Heather L. Kaufman. New York: Infobase Publishing, 2009.