Students going to International Student Support

Office of International Affairs

Applying as an International Student

North Park University has over 200 international students from over 40 countries who enroll in our undergraduate programs, Seminary, and select graduate programs. Visit our International Admissions page to learn more about admission guidelines and how to apply.

International Admissions

Arrival and Orientation

  • New undergraduate and exchange international students who are living on campus should plan to move-in on Tuesday, August 23 between 10:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m. Orientation activities for all new international students (exchange, undergraduate, and graduate level) will take plan on Wednesday, August 24 and Thursday, August 25.
  • Please check your North Park email for directions to campus and detailed arrival information for the fall 2022 semester.
  • New international student athletes will receive arrival information from their coaches. Fall athletes may have an earlier arrival/move-in date.
  • If you are not able to arrive on your assigned date, please contact Michael Drake in International Admissions.

International Student Orientation will have both online & in-person components for Fall 2022.

International Student Orientation is required for all incoming exchange, undergraduate, graduate, and Seminary students.

Online Orientation: Please check your email for instructions and a link to access the orientation modules in Canvas, which should be completed before your arrival. This virtual orientation will be sent out mid-July and will prepare you to be successful an international student at North Park and in the U.S.


In-Person Orientation will take place August 24-25 for all new and transfer international students. These orientation sessions are also mandatory. Students living on campus should arrive Tuesday, August 23 to move-in. Please review the full schedule here:


Undergraduate & exchange students: please also plan participate in Threshold, an orientation for all new undergraduate students, which will take place August 26-28. 


Maintaining Visa Status

To get started, learn how to apply for a visa, pay the I-901 fee, and schedule an appointment at the U.S. Embassy.

As an international student, you are responsible for maintaining your own visa status. You must be sure to adhere to the guidelines listed to the right.

If you fall out of status for failure to adhere to any of these guidelines, you must apply for reinstatement with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Reinstatement is costly and is only granted under limited conditions. If you think you might be out of status, please contact the Office of International Affairs immediately for assistance.

You must have health insurance each semester you are enrolled at North Park. North Park University offers a comprehensive insurance plan for international students, which all are strongly encouraged to purchase. Please use the button below to submit your enrollment request. The Office of International Affairs will process your enrollment within two weeks and will email you a copy of your insurance card. All insurance plans are billed directly to the NPU student account and can be paid through Self Service. *You can view current insurance rates on the enrollment form by clicking the link below. 

Insurance Policy

Begin Enrollment

Exchange students who wish to submit an insurance waiver, please complete the form linked here and submit via email, with a copy of your policy.

J-1 Waiver

Registering for Courses

If you are an undergraduate (degree seeking or exchange) student, you must enroll in 12 or more credits each semester. If you are a graduate student, you must enroll in 8 or more credits each semester. If you are taking classes in Quad B that will count toward the minimum registration requirement, those classes must show on your class schedule at the start of the semester.

Online Courses

As an international student, you are restricted to 1 online course per academic semester, that is, Quad A and B combined.

Every semester that you are studying in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa, North Park University is required to report to the U.S. Government that you are complying with student visa regulations. This process is called “SEVIS Registration”. Each semester you must submit a completed SEVIS Checklist to the Office of International Affairs.

Note: this process can now be completed via an online form. Please use the link below to verify your information and credit hours for the semester. You no longer need to submit a paper form or copy of your schedule. 

SEVIS Checklist

If you have loan paperwork that you need completed for CSN, Lånekassen, etc. please contact the following staff in Student Administrative Services:

Undergraduate Students: Faith Mojica,

Graduate Students: Sherrie Tillmon,

An F-1 visa is used to enter the United States. In most cases, once you are in the U.S. you are permitted to remain here as long as you are maintaining F-1 status, even if your visa expires. However, you may not leave the U.S. and return with an expired F-1 visa, even if your I-20 form is valid and your program of studies has not yet ended.

You should always be aware of the date when your F-1 visa will expire. You may not plan on traveling abroad, but you never know when the emergency situation will arise, requiring you to leave the U.S. unexpectedly. If you have an expired via, you will have to apply for a new visa before you return. Please follow the instructions included here or contact the Office of International Affairs for more information.

Visa Renewal Instructions

U.S. law requires that international students are required to report any changes in name, address, or educational program to their international student advisor within 10 days of the change.

Life in the United States

Student life in the United States may be different from what you have experienced in your home country, or another country in which you may have studied.

Social Security numbers serve as personal identification numbers in the United States. They are also required before a person may be paid for employment.

SSN Video

As an international individual, you must have a job before applying for a Social Security number.

If you have been hired for on-campus employment, you’ll have to complete some paperwork to apply for your Social Security card.

It takes approximately two-four weeks after the date of application to receive a Social Security card in the mail. Unfortunately, you cannot get paid for your work until you have received your Social Security card, so start this process as soon as you’ve found a job.



There are many banks near campus. If you wish to open a bank account in the U.S., please contact them to inquire what paperwork you will need to open an account. Most banks will want to see your student I.D., passport, and/or I-20/DS-2019 to open your account. Some banks may require a Social Security Number.

In order to apply for a regular Illinois driver’s license, you must have a Social Security number.

Video: Driver’s License Instructions

HOW TO APPLY for A Driver’s License

If you don’t have a Social Security number, you may drive using a valid driver’s license from your home country for one year. In certain circumstances, you may also be eligible for a Temporary Visitor’s Driver’s License (TVDL) or a State ID.

TVDL Video

State ID Info

You may have an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) from your home country. The IDP is a translation of your home-country driver’s license; it does not constitute a legal driver’s license by itself.


If you will leave the United States while you are a student, you will need a travel validation signature on your Form I-20 or DS-2019. Each travel signature is valid for 12 months to gain re-entry to the U.S. If a new signature is needed, please contact the Office of International Affairs. Students on an F-1 visa can receive I-20s via email. You must print the I-20 (in color), sign, and carry the paper copy with you when you travel. 

In addition to your I-20 you should have the following documents in your carry-on bag while traveling: passport, visa, financial documents (i.e. bank statement), class schedule for current or upcoming semester, and NPU admission letter.

The Tax Filing Deadline is April 18, 2022. As a nonresident student in the US, you’re legally required to file Form 8843 if you resided in the U.S. during the year 2021. You are also legally required by the IRS to file a tax return if you received any income in the U.S. during 2021.

If you did NOT receive any income during 2021, then you do NOT need to file a tax return; however, you ARE still obliged to file a Form 8843 with the IRS. Here is what you need to do:

  1. Download, Print, & Complete a Form 8843 *We have prepared Form 8843 Instructions to assist you.
  2. Mail the form to the following address: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin, TX 73301-0215

If you received income (through a campus job, internship, or any other source type of paid work) North Park University has arranged free access to Sprintax Tax Preparation for you. Sprintax will guide you through the tax preparation process, arrange the necessary documents and check if you’re due a tax refund. To use Sprintax, all you need to do is:

  1. Register for Sprintax and follow the simple instructions
  2. Complete the online questionnaire
  3. Enter the unique code (21NPU50F) on the ‘Review your order’ page
  4. Sprintax will prepare your tax return, including the Form 8843.
  5. Once you complete the preparation process in the Sprintax software, you must submit your documents to the IRS (either by mail or E-file). You also must complete any necessary payments. 

Sprintax Instructions

Sprintax YouTube

Note: if you had an on-campus job in 2021 and consented to receive your W2 statement online, you can now view and/or print your 2021 tax statement via Self-Service. If you did not consent to receive your W2 statements online via Self-Service, your paper copy will be mailed to you. If you have questions about your W2, please contact

Work Authorization

As an international student, you were granted a visa for the primary purpose of study, so your employment opportunities may be limited to on-campus work or positions that further your academic training.

As an international student you are permitted to work on campus up to 20 hours per week. During official school breaks (summer, fall, winter and spring breaks, but not regular weekends), you may work on campus up to 40 hours per week. All on-campus work requires prior authorization by the Office of International Affairs. Looking for an on-campus job? Create an account on Career Hub and search for On-Campus, Non Work Study jobs. Note: ISEP students must obtain permission from ISEP before starting work.

In some cases, you may qualify for an off-campus work experience. CPT refers to any off-campus internship, field experience, or practicum in your major of study. Degree-seeking students must complete one academic year in F-1 status and meet North Park’s requirements for internship or practical before being allowed to participate in CPT. If you are interested in CPT you are required to attend a CPT workshop offered at the beginning of each academic semester. Please contact the Office of International Affairs for specific steps on how to apply.



Fall 2022 Information Session will be held virtually on Teams: August 31 @ 11:30am. Join here.

J-1 students are eligible for Academic Training (AT). ISEP students will need to contact your home institution and your ISEP coordinator. Learn more about Academic Training (for ISEP students).

Academic Training

If you are completing a bachelor’s or master’s degree at North Park and have been in F-1 status for one academic year, you may apply for OPT no sooner than 90 days before and no later than 60 days after your program end date (graduation). OPT gives you permission to look for employment and work in your major field of studies for one year after your graduation. In certain circumstances, you may be eligible for pre-completion OPT.

Applying for OPT costs $410 and must be done in SEVIS with the help of the DSO. If you are interested in OPT, you are required to attend an OPT workshop offered at the beginning of each academic semester.

OPT Instructions

OPT Application Form

If your financial circumstances have changed dramatically since the processing of your initial I-20 or DS-2019, you may be eligible to apply for Severe Economic Hardship work permission if the cause of the financial difficulty was out of your control. Applying for Severe Economic Hardship work permission costs $410 and must be done in SEVIS with the help of the DSO.


We encourage you to get involved in a volunteer activity while you’re studying at North Park. Volunteering is a great way to meet new friends and learn more about U.S. culture. Please note that federal guidelines for degree-seeking international and exchange students are very strict as to what constitutes a volunteer experience. Please contact the Office of International Affairs to obtain approval before engaging in any volunteer activity.

Post Program Options

  • You may take 60 days to travel within the U.S. and prepare to depart the country. You cannot work during this period of time, and you may not depart and re-enter the country.
  • You may apply for another program at North Park.
  • You may apply for an academic program at another U.S. university.
  • If you’ve completed an undergraduate or graduate degree, you are eligible to apply with the USCIS for one year of employment authorization in the United States. This employment opportunity, referred to as Optional Practical Training (OPT), is only permitted in your major field of study. Please contact the Office of International Affairs for information on applying for OPT.

After completing an exchange program, a student on a J-1 visa has 30 days to travel within the United States and prepare to depart the country. You cannot work during this grace period, and cannot depart and reenter the country.

If you wish to continue your education at another institution, you will likely need a copy of your transcripts from North Park University. You can request your transcripts at any time.

The Office of International Affairs

North Park University’s Office of International Affairs provides assistance to future and current North Park students who are not citizens or legal residents of the United States. Before you arrive at North Park, you will communicate primarily with the admissions team, while the Office of International Affairs staff will help you make your transition to Chicago and keep your paperwork in order once you are here.

When you’re on campus, visit the Office of International Affairs in the Center for Student Engagement on the first floor of the Johnson Center.

Tessa Zanoni

Director, Office of International Affairs 

Email Tessa | Phone: (773) 244-5553 | Office: Johnson Center, First Floor

Book an appointment

Ruby Benigno

Assistant Director, Office of International Affairs 

Email Ruby | Phone: (773) 244-5553 | Office: Johnson Center, First Floor

Book an appointment

Travel Signature on I-20 or DS-2019 Forms

If you will leave the United States while you are a student, you’ll need a travel validation signature on your Form I-20 or DS-2019. Each travel signature is valid for 12 months. If a new signature is needed, please contact the Office of International Affairs staff.

Bills, Transcripts, Proof of Enrollment, and Graduation Requirements

Student Administrative Services provides assistance with billing, registration, transcripts, proof of enrollment, and graduation requirements. Contact Student Administrative Services.

Registering for Classes

Major Declaration

The Office of International Affairs is located in the Center for Student Engagement on the first floor of the Johnson Center. The staff in the Office of International Affairs prepares documents for international student visa applications, interfaces with the U.S. government on all visa-related issues, and maintains student visa records. While we ask that faculty and staff defer to the Office of International Affairs on all questions regarding visa laws and immigration matters, we understand that students sometimes have more frequent contact with their professors and advisors than with us. Please consult the Office of International Affairs when advising and working with international students.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Office of International Affairs for more information.