Paul De Neui
Professor of Missiology and Intercultural Studies
Classes taught: Religions and Cultures; travel courses; Cultural Dimensions of Mission; Art in Mission; God’s Global Vision; Exploring the Mission of God
At North Park since: 2005
Dr. Paul de Neui sees the seminary experience as a pilgrimage. “For some, the imagery is a wilderness, but it is a journey for all,” he says. As a world traveler, he knows the importance of a well-planned journey. “Significant time is spent by faculty with students in the discernment process to monitor a student’s call and progress during the seminary career.”
At North Park Theological Seminary, the faculty, staff, and student community support students in this process, Dr. de Neui says. “But students must take the initiative to build relationships, find mentors, seek out spiritual directors, and discern in the company of others what is best for them along the way.”
All North Park students are required to have an intercultural ministry experience, and Dr. de Neui promotes intercultural competency as an integral piece of the seminary process. His students interact with neighboring communities of different faiths, focusing on developing Christian hospitality. Each year, Dr. de Neui offers at least one travel course, taking students to explore Christian faith outside of their home context, including Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Dr. de Neui is ordained in the Evangelical Covenant Church, and served as a vocational missionary in Thailand of the denomination from 1987 to 2005, “working with national leaders in a variety of contextualized holistic ministries,” he says. Dr. de Neui chairs the Seminary’s Globalization and Diversity Committee, serves as director of the Seminary’s Center for World Christian Studies, and participates in the seminary gospel choir.
- PhD, Intercultural Studies, Fuller Theological Seminary
- ThM, Missiology, Fuller Theological Seminary
- MDiv, Cross-Cultural Studies, Fuller Theological Seminary
- BS, Ornamental Horticulture, California Polytechnic State University
- Paul de Neui and Deborah Penny. “Developing a Cultural Competency Module to Facilitate Christian Hospitality and Promote Pastoral Practices in a Multifaith Society.” Theological Education, 57 (2) 57–60. 2013.
- Paul de Neui. “The Man Behind the Image: Discovering God’s Process in Forming Father Abraham.” Covenant Companion, CI (2) 16–20. 2012.
- Paul de Neui. Developing Leaders in the Buddhist Context. (Editor). Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2012.