CHICAGO (November 17, 2016) — North Park University this week unveiled its new logo, which harkens to the University’s history in Chicago. The cupola is a depiction of the first campus building, Old Main, built in 1893. Once the tallest point on the north side of Chicago, the cupola was historically used as a guiding landmark for pilots landing at Orchard Field (now O’Hare International Airport).
In the new rendition of this architectural feature, the steeple breaks out of a shield, emphasizing North Park University’s continued role as a directional point for students, alumni, and community members. A cross is visible towards the top of the symbol, a reflection of the University’s identity, which is “rooted in Christianity, with open arms.”
Founded by the Swedish Evangelical Covenant Church, North Park has long identified with the colors blue and gold, originally drawn from the Swedish flag. This is maintained in the new logo, as well as the marker “CHICAGO,” indicating North Park’s continued commitment to engaging its urban environment.
Located in Chicago, North Park University is a Christian comprehensive university that serves nearly 3,200 undergraduate and graduate students from around the country and the world. Within a diverse, close-knit, urban community, North Park offers a values-based education to students through more than 40 undergraduate majors and an adult degree-completion program, as well as graduate and continuing education in business, nonprofit management, nursing, education, music, and theology. By integrating faith with learning—as it has done since its founding in 1891 by the Evangelical Covenant Church—North Park University continues to focus on the important task of preparing students for lives of significance and service.