Vikings Paint the Town Blue and Gold
Alumni honored as part of Homecoming weekend
CHICAGO (October 20, 2015) — Generations of North Park alumni returned to the corner of Foster and Kedzie this weekend to reconnect with the campus community as part of the 2015 Homecoming celebration.
There were several highlights of the week, including a faculty showcase from the School of Music, an alumni art exhibit, and the annual Golden Circle reception in honor of alumni who graduated at least 50 years ago.
Alumni were also treated to home games from women’s volleyball and both soccer teams. And for the third year in a row, North Park’s football program earned a win in front of the Homecoming crowd, delivering a dominant 24-14 victory over CCIW foe Elmhurst College.
As part of Homecoming week, several alumni were honored for their contributions to the North Park community and for leading lives of significance and service, exemplifying the University's mission.
Three North Park alumni were honored at Saturday’s Reunion and Awards Breakfast:
- Peter Tufo A’55, U.S. Ambassador to Hungary from 1997–2001, Distinguished Academy Alumnus
- Megan (Streedain) Tamte C’95, co-founder and CEO of Evereve, Distinguished University Alumna
- Déborah Wanderley dos Santos C’10, São Paulo Symphony violinist and founder of the YOURS project, Distinguished Young Alumna
North Park University athletes were inducted into the Viking Hall of Fame on Friday, October 16. This year’s inductees included:
- Arriel Gray Jr. C’81, football and track and field
- Rich Mahoney C’69, football, baseball, and coaching
- Prof. Tony Quinn, coaching and teaching
- Megan (Slattery) Nikiel C’06 G’10, basketball
- The 2004 Women’s Novice 4+ Rowing Team, which won the national championship during their inaugural season: Corianne (Bowman) Courtney; Allison (Koubsky) Ford C’07 G’10; Erikka (Treatch) Hedberg C’07; Rebecca (Bowman) Langworthy C’05; Annika Safstrom C’07; Tim Grant, coach
See more highlights of the Hall of Fame ceremony, including speeches from a few of the honorees.