Professor of Nonprofit Management
At North Park Since: 2003
Dr. Gianfranco Farruggia teaches, publishes, consults, and speaks frequently on management and leadership in the nonprofit sector. He developed this expertise through a long career in the industry, including nearly 24 years at a human services agency which he personally expanded from a single-program to a multi-service organization providing services to youths, adults, and seniors. He now teaches a wide range of nonprofit courses in the School of Business and Nonprofit Management, primarily at the graduate level, and enjoys the interaction it provides with students from a wide range of backgrounds and careers. “The school gives me a wonderful opportunity to teach what I know best, and the classroom size permits me to develop good relationships with students,” he says.
Dr. Farruggia characterizes the reputation of the School of Business’s nonprofit degree as “a force to be reckoned with,” drawing strength from the collegial atmosphere and unique position of North Park in Chicago’s nonprofit world. His students routinely work with local nonprofit organizations on class projects that include volunteering, consultant assessments, gaining board meeting experience, developing evaluation proposals, and developing strategic plans. He also draws on local organizations for guest speakers to talk about a range of topics, from their own experiences in the sector to lobbying and government relations.
Dr. Farruggia is a member of the Association on Research for Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action, the World Future Society, BoardSource, the American Evaluation Association, CharityChannel, and the Alliance for Nonprofit Management.
- PhD, Social Service Administration (Nonprofit Organization Studies concentration), The Union Institute
- MS, Rehabilitation Services Administration, DePaul University
- BA, Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Gianfranco Farruggia. “What Nonprofit CEOs Should Avoid.” Chicago: Third Sector Publications, 2012.
- Gianfranco Farruggia. “Traditional and Unique Features of the Nonprofit CEO Role.” In Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations: A Reference Handbook, Vol. 1, edited by Kathryn A. Agard, p.337-344. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: SAGE Publications, Inc., 2011.
- Gianfranco Farruggia and Timothy O’Brien. “When Things Go Wrong: Leadership and the problem of unintended consequences.” In Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations: A Reference Handbook, Vol. 2, edited by Kathryn A. Agard, p. 551-558. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: SAGE Publications, Inc., 2011.