The Office of Diversity
The Office of Diversity at North Park University in Chicago aims to create a campus community that helps students of all backgrounds to feel welcome and included. Working with cultural clubs, student success programming and promoting student advocacy are just a few ways we engage our students in pursuing lives of significance and purpose. Visit the Diversity Center, located on the first floor of Sohlberg Hall.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates
While the campus is conducting virtual learning to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the NPU Diversity Center, located in Sohlberg Hall’s first floor known as The Collaboratory, will be closed to all visitors.
Students can still meet with professional staff members, Sharee Myricks and Marcus Payne, II, via phone or video conference (Zoom).
For campus-wide updates visit www.northpark.edu/covid-19.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The Spring Dance is canceled for April 3, 2020, due to large gatherings posing an unnecessary risk to public health amid the coronavirus outbreak in Illinois. The Voyage Activities Board will communicate additional information at a later date. This includes information regarding ticket sales for those who made purchases.
- Any inquiries regarding the Spring Dance can be made by clicking here.
- The Diversity RSOs are encouraged to conduct community meetings by virtual methods such as Phone, Zoom, Skype, Google Chat, Facebook Live, Instagram Live, GoToMeeting, or FreeConferenceCall.com.
- Diversity RSOs leaders should schedule a meeting with Marcus Payne, II at https://calendly.com/mpayne-6 to make final plans regarding meetings before their occurrence.
- Any events planned between Wed. March 18, 2020 and Sun., April 12, 2020 will not occur in The Collaboratory space.
- Office of Diversity events: Our daily breakfast offerings and all “Netflix and Chew” film showings are canceled. The art show for Ayreial Harris scheduled for March 25, 2020 and the Womxn’s History Month film with the NPU Gender Studies Program is postponed until further notice via our social media sites.
- Office of Diversity RSOs events: Diversity RSOs leaders should schedule a meeting with Marcus Payne II at https://calendly.com/mpayne-6 to discuss options to hold events virtually or reschedule after April 13, 2020 if possible.
Council for Diversity Equity & Inclusion
The Diversity Support Team is constructed to ensure the appreciation of campus diversity and the adherence to student, staff, and faculty racial equality.
As part of our mission to encourage greater integration of in-class and out-of-class student life, we invite you to get involved with one or more of these student groups.
For first-generation college students interested in becoming urban leaders—you’ll receive advanced leadership and vocational development, academic advising, and additional financial aid.
The Sankofa Experience at North Park University combines readings, films, classes and community meetings concerning social constructions of race and how they impact other identities.
Get together with your fellow students to explore different cultures, learn about social justice issues, and serve the community. Whether you’re a foodie or a film fanatic, you can get involved just doing what you already love or by trying something new!