The Office of Diversity and Intercultural Life
The Office of Diversity and Intercultural Life (ODIL) at North Park University in Chicago aims to create a campus community that helps students of all backgrounds to feel welcome and included. Working with cultural clubs, student success programming, and promoting student advocacy are just a few ways we engage our students in pursuing lives of significance and service. Visit The Collaboratory, North Park’s diversity center, located on the first floor of Sohlberg Hall.
Welcome from the Office of Diversity and Intercultural Life
Greetings, Vikings! Welcome to the Office of Diversity and Intercultural Life website. We are so happy you are a member of our institution.
The Office of Diversity and Intercultural Life (ODIL) strives to develop a culture of intentional interculturalism for our NPU students. Our professional team includes Director of ODIL Sharee L. Myricks and Assistant Director of ODIL Bree Yoo-Sun McLuen (NPU C’10).
Just a little about us—The Office of Diversity and Intercultural Life at NPU aims to create a campus community that helps students of all backgrounds to feel welcome and included. Working with cultural clubs, student success programming, and promoting student advocacy are just a few ways we engage our students in pursuing lives of significance and service. Visit NPU’s diversity center, known as The Collaboratory, located on the first floor of Sohlberg Hall. Director Myricks and Assistant Director Payne, II are also located in Sohlberg Hall, offices 106 and 107 respectfully, right next to The Collaboratory.
As part of ODIL’s mission to encourage greater integration of in-class and out-of-class for students, we invite students to become involved with one or more Diversity Office Clubs! Many of the organizations below hold their meetings and events in The Collaboratory.
Diversity Office Clubs
As part of our mission to encourage greater integration of in-class and out-of-class student life, we invite you to get involved with one or more of these student groups.
See what our Diversity Office Clubs are up to by attending events, meetings, or being an active member of an organization.
On myNPU-Engage you can view a complete list of our Registered Student Organizations (RSO) via the Organization Directory, a list of RSO Events and Activities or, contact Diversity Office Club officers directly through their organization page.
Cultural and Heritage Months
ODIL will celebrate the recognized awareness months and week(s) for the NPU community below. Cultural and heritage months educate and raise understanding regarding the heritage and history of cultures, groups, or causes. These are not trivialized recognitions, but intentional intercultural celebrations which reflect the NPU diverse student body.
ODIL and Diversity Office Clubs will provide programming, commentary, and resources to promote these selected intercultural observances and commemorative months/weeks. We hope you join us.
- September 2022 Hispanic/Latin American Heritage Month: Sept 15–Oct 15
- Sept 21 Catalyst on Campus Hispanic Heritage Month )Co-Sponsor: Catalyst Hub, Office of the Provost
- October 2022 LGBTQ+ History Month: Oct 1–31
- Oct 3–7 Diverse Ability Week Co-Sponsor: Office of Access Services
- Oct 10–14 Pride Week (sponsored by Queers & Allies)
- November 2022 Indigenous Month| Undocumented Student Week
- Nov 7–11 Undocumented (UnDoc) Student Week
- Male Summit: The Audacity of Male Success/ Co-Sponsor: Office of Career Development
- December 2022 Interfaith Month
- Dec 07 Celebration of Cultural Spirituality Co-Sponsor: SGA+ Religious Life Representative
- January 2023 Interfaith Month
- Jan 18 2023 Annual Dr. Rev Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration
- Jan 25 Day of Faith & Spirituality Unity Co-Sponsor SGA + Religious Life Representative
- February 2023
- Feb 6–24 Everfi Diversity, Equity, and Belonging Student E Training (campus-wide)
- Feb 16 Words Unspoken (Open Mic Night) Co-Sponsor: BSU + ACC
- March 2023 Womxn’s Heritage Month
- March 23 Womxn’s Summit: Co-Sponsor: Gender & Women Studies Minor, Office of Career Development
- March 22–31 Ramadan Awareness Co-Sponsor: MSA
- March 31 2023 ODIL Intercultural Awards Co-Sponsors: All Diversity Clubs, Office of the Provost