Once you have been accepted for studies at North Park University, you will receive a welcome packet that includes information on applying for a visa.

Acceptance Letter

Your acceptance letter proves that you have been invited to complete a particular track of studies at North Park.

Information on the I-901 Fee

The I-901 fee (also called the SEVIS fee) is paid to the U.S. government before you apply for a visa to study in the United States. It is not your visa fee. Rather, it is a fee that helps pay for the automated system that keeps track of international students and exchange visitors in the U.S.

Form I-20

If you are studying English as a Second Language or applying to complete a degree program (bachelor's or master's) at North Park, you will probably receive a Form I-20. This form entitles you to apply for an F-1 visa. Please note that all undergraduate students will receive an I-20 form with a major of "liberal arts and sciences." You will be permitted to declare a major after your first semester at North Park, and we will update your I-20 at that time.

Form DS-2019

If you are an exchange student at North Park, or will be at North Park temporarily as a different type of exchange visitor, you will probably receive a Form DS-2019. This form entitles you to apply for a
J-1 visa. Please note that ISEP Exchange students will receive a DS-2019 form directly from International Student Exchange Programs, not from North Park University.

Applying for an F-1 or J-1 Visa

When you have received your Welcome Packet from the North Park Admissions Office, you are ready to apply for your visa. The U.S. government provides helpful information on the different types of student visas.

Maintaining Visa Status

As an international student, you are responsible for the maintenance of your own visa status. You must be sure to adhere to the following guidelines.

If you fall out of status for failure to adhere to any of the guidelines below, you must apply for reinstatement with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Reinstatement is costly and is only granted under limited conditions. If you think you might be out of status, please contact the Office of International Affairs immediately for assistance.

Course Enrollment

If you are an undergraduate, exchange, or English as a Second Language (ESL) student, you must enroll in 12 or more credits each semester. If you are a graduate student, you must enroll in 8 or more credits each semester. If you are taking classes in Quad B that will count toward the minimum registration requirement, those classes must show on your class schedule at the start of the semester.


As an international student, you are generally not permitted to work off-campus. You may, however, work at an on-campus job for a maximum of 20 hours per week (40 hours per week during official school breaks). You must report any on-campus employment to the Office of International Affairs before beginning work.

Reporting to the Office of International Affairs

U.S. law requires that international students are required to report any changes in name, address, or educational program to their international student advisor within 10 days of the change. In addition, all international students at North Park must submit a SEVIS Checklist to the International Office each semester. The SEVIS Checklist will be sent to your North Park email accounts approximately two weeks after the start of the term. As a North Park international student, you are required to check your North Park email account at least once per week.
students in downtown Chicago