Studying Biology at North Park
Biology examines the living world from the smallest cell to the human body to complex ecosystems. Hands-on laboratory components and in-depth field experiences solidify the connections between theory and practice.
Degrees are flexible, allowing students to shape a program of study around interests, skills, and career goals.
Pre-professional tracks prepare you for entrance into a graduate program or professional school. You’ll complete a recommended set of courses alongside your major and be advised on how to get the experience you need to be a standout among applicants.
Equipment and Resources
Prepare yourself for industry, research, or medicine through hands-on training with:
- Human Cadaver Prosection Lab
- GelDoc EZ DNA Visualization System
- OneStep Quantitative Realtime PCR
- NanoSight NS300 Nanoparticle Tracker
- Applikon Bioreactor EZ-Control
- Inverted Fluorescent Microscope
- Biosafety and Tissue Culture Cabinets
- Climate-Controlled Plant Growth Chamber
- NanoDrop Spectrophotometer
- Au Sable Institute Partnership
Your Future in Biology
Exploring the natural world is full of professional opportunities:
- Medical/Dental/Veterinary School
- Industry/Medical Laboratory Technician
- PT/OT/PA/Pharmacy School
- Industry/Government Researcher
- Academic Professor/Researcher
- Public Health Official
- Secondary Education
- Environmental Educator/Scientist
- Land/Water Resource Management
Our graduates are employed in a wide range of professions:
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.), Northwestern University
- Medical School (M.D.), Rush University
- Clinical Lab Scientist (Parasitology), Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- City of Chicago Water Reclamation District Laboratory
- Immunology Ph.D. program, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
- Professor, Beloit College; Ph.D. (Neuroscience) from Mayo Graduate School
Location & Facilities
Students studying biology learn and experience science in our state-of-the-art Johnson Center. Light-filled modern classrooms equipped with the latest in instrumentation and technology provide a learning environment perfectly suited for the rigors of a STEM curriculum.
Meet the Faculty & Staff
Dr. Drew Rholl is passionate about helping students learn and apply scientific methods to better understand the natural world. He believes the class size and attention from the professors of North Park are what make students so successful in their careers and professional school environments.