Studying Psychology at North Park
The psychology department provides students with a multidimensional exploration of psychological concepts and processes in an ethical and cultural context. Students have opportunities to practice and develop valuable psychological skills by completing an internship or directed research experience.
Major in Psychology
Majoring in psychology allows the flexibility to choose around interests, skills, and career goals.
The B.A. in psychology compliments a second major, minor, or study abroad experiences. The B.S. in psychology includes additional lab classes, internship or research experience, and a special topic seminar to prepare for advanced study in psychology.
Pre-professional tracks prepare you for entrance into a graduate program or professional school. You’ll complete a recommended set of courses alongside your major and be advised on how to get the experience you need to be a standout among applicants.
American Psychological Association (APA) Undergraduate Standards
Our major develops skills described by the APA. Learning outcomes capture expectations for the workplace and advanced study in psychology:
- Knowledge base
- Scientific inquiry & critical thinking
- Ethical and social responsibility in a diverse world
Careers and Advanced Degrees with Your Psychology Degree
- Case Worker
- Academic Advisor or Counselor
- Child Life Specialist
- Community Worker
- Human Services Aide
- Research Assistant
- Applied Behavior Analysis Therapist
- Experimental Psychology
- Occupational Therapy
- Medical School
- Counseling or Social Work
- Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Clinical Psychology
Our graduates are employed in a wide range of professions:
- The University of Iowa, Cognitive Psychology PhD program
- City Year, New Orleans
- Christopher House, Chicago
- Loyola University, Masters in Social Work program
- Alzheimer’s Association, Greater Illinois Chapter
- Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Chicago
- Midwestern University, Occupational Therapy program
- Northwestern University, Clinical speech-pathology program
- Children’s Research Triangle
- Central Michigan University, Clinical PhD program
Location & Facilities
Students studying psychology learn and experience science in our state-of-the-art Johnson Center. Light-filled modern classrooms equipped with the latest in instrumentation and technology provide a learning environment perfectly suited for the rigors of a STEM curriculum.
Meet the Faculty & Staff
Dr. Elizabeth Gray is a strong proponent of good teaching and the liberal arts, and believes a psychology major at North Park will prepare students for a career and life.