Professional Development Workshops
The Axelson Center offers a series of workshops each fall and spring, providing you with an opportunity to connect with knowledgeable experts and network with colleagues from across the sector. Whether you’re a program manager at an arts organization, a financial manager at a social services organization, an executive director at an education-based nonprofit, a fundraising director at a transportation advocacy organization, or you wear all of these hats on a daily basis, the Axelson Center’s workshops will re-energize you and prepare you to meet the nonprofit management challenges ahead of you.
To receive the latest information about workshops via email, please click here. Information about registration rates, payment options, and our cancellation policy can be found at the end of the page. Also, you can find information about our prior workshop offerings below.
Design Thinking: A Solution-Based Approach for Strategic Planning
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 9 a.m. – Noon
Presented by Jennifer Madden, PhD, MNO, Assistant Professor of Management and Marketing and Director of the Master (MSc) of Business Design and Innovation program at Carthage College; President, Leverage Point Development
Staff Management for New Supervisors
Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 9 a.m. – Noon
Presented by Michelle Aronson, MBA, People Experience Officer, Human Resources, Swedish Covenant Hospital; Adjunct Professor, North Park University School of Business and Nonprofit Management
Metrics That Matter: Measuring, Monitoring and Benchmarking
Wednesday, April 3, 2019, 9 a.m. – Noon
Presented by Laura Zumdahl, PhD, President and CEO, New Moms
Social Enterprises for the Greater Good
Wednesday, April 10, 2019, 9 a.m. – Noon
Presented by Brenda Palms Barber, Executive Director, North Lawndale Employment Network; Chief Executive Officer, Sweet Beginnings, LLC
Finances, Strategies and Governing Boards FREE
Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 9 – 11 a.m.
Presented by Gretchen Upholt, MPA, Senior Consultant, FMA
Previous Workshops This Spring:
Goal-Setting for Successful Events
Presented by Melissa Lagowski, President and Founder, Big Buzz Idea Group
Nonprofit Finance 101
Presented by Andreason Brown, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer, Spencer Foundation
Make Data Work for You: Becoming a Data-Driven Fundraiser
Presented by Sharon Tiknis, Executive Vice President, East Division Manager, The Alford Group
Previous Workshops Last Fall:
Beyond Small Talk: Strategic Networking for Nonprofit Professionals
Presented by Pam Schilling, MBA, Founder, CEO, and Career Strategist, Arch Career Partners
Hospitable and Effective Hiring: Interviewing, Onboarding and Retention
Presented by Nurys Harrigan Pedersen, President, Careers In Nonprofits
The Healthy Workspace: It’s Not a Diet, It’s a Culture
Moderated by Sandee Kastrul, President and Co-founder, i.c. stars
Panelists: Renauld Mitchell, Partner/Director of Chicago Operations Moody Nolan, Inc.; Ashley Ritter, MOL, Ritter Coaching and Consulting and Jennifer Sobecki, CEO, Designs for Dignity
Make Your Annual Giving Appeal Less Spooky
Presented by Sidney Freitag-Fey, MA, CFRE, Director, Development and Communications, Delta Institute
Financial Turnaround: a Crain’s Panel with Nonprofits Who’ve Done It
Moderated by Lisa Bertagnoli, MA, Reporter, Nonprofits and Philanthropy, Crain’s Chicago Business
Panelists: Jackie Edens, CEO, The Inner Voice; Allison Henry, MBA, Executive Director, The People’s Music School; Michelle Larson, PhD, President and CEO, Adler Planetarium
Handling HR When You Don’t Have an HR Department
Presented by Greg Crawford, MA, PHR Vice President Human Capital Management, AssuredPartners Illinois
Brand Building for Social Impact
Presented by Stephanie Rath, Vice President of Marketing and Brand Management, YMCA of the USA
Fiascos, Falls and Floods! Why Nonprofits Need Risk Management
Presented by Peter Persuitti, Managing Director, Insurance & Risk Management, Arthur J. Gallagher
You may register for more than one workshop in a single transaction. To pay by check, complete this registration form. Please make your check payable to North Park University and mail to:
Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management
3225 W Foster Ave, Box 4
Chicago, IL 60625
Please note: Day-of registration is not permitted.
Most workshops take place on North Park University’s campus, located near West Foster and North Kedzie Avenues in Chicago, unless otherwise noted. Specific session location information for each workshop is sent via email to registrants.
The following fees apply for workshops unless otherwise stated:
- Half-Day Workshops: $90 (includes beverages and course materials)
20% Discount available for in-person workshops
- Forefront (formally known as Donors Forum) associates: individuals who are employed or volunteer with a tax-exempt organization; Independent consultants, consulting firms and grant making organizations are ineligible for this discount.
- Individuals from tax-exempt organizations with an annual operating budget less than $1 million
- Current undergraduate and graduate students from any college or university
- Individuals with 5 years or less experience in the nonprofit sector
All workshop registration will be processed online through the Axelson Center’s NeonCRM system. Payments will be processed through PayPal and appear on your statement as PAYPAL* NPU AXELSON or Paypal*NPU Axelson.
Registrations using check payments cannot be indicated online at this time. Please complete the Axelson Center’s Manual Registration Form (a fillable PDF) and return to the Axelson Center via mail or e-mail to register by check. Checks should be made payable to North Park University.
(Last updated 7/31/14)
The Axelson Center reserves the right to cancel any workshop. Should the Axelson Center cancel, registrants will receive a full refund.
Registrants choosing to cancel their workshop registration will receive a refund minus a $15 administrative fee. Notice of cancellation must be received by the Axelson Center at least five working days prior to the workshop. We regret that no refunds can be made after that date under any circumstances. Registration payments may not be transferred to a different event.
Spring 2018 series:
- Creating a Culture of Communication
- Design a Successful Planned Giving Program
- Telling Your Story and Making the Ask: Connect the Dots
- Career Mapping for Your Next Strategic Move
- Activate Your Strengths, Elevate Your Organization
- Preparing for Your Year End Audit
Fall 2017 series
- Gearing Up for #GivingTuesday
- More Efficient, More Effective: Getting More Done in the Same Amount of Time
- From Burden to Benefit: Boards as Partners through Turbulent Times
- Investing in Millennial Talent
- Demystifying Donor Advised Funds
- More than a Grant: Cultivating Relationships with Foundations
Spring 2017 series
- The Essential Guide to Real Estate for Your Nonprofit
- Building on Team Strengths for Organizational Success
- Planned Giving Primer
- Beyond Show and Tell: Connecting with Funders for a Meaningful Site Visit
- The Journey to High Performance
- Program Evaluation Doesn’t Have to be a Monkey Wrench
- The Three G’s of Board Service: Give, Get or Get Off
- Understanding Your Form 990 (FREE)
Fall 2016 Workshop Series
- Ensure Organizational Leadership: Succession Planning for All
- Fearless Fundraising With Your Board: Building Relationships That Last!
- Federal Funding 101: Demystifying Your Search in a Changing Landscape
- Gearing Up for #Giving Tuesday
- Making Waves as a Thought Leader
- Partnering for Success: How to Effectively Engage Nonprofit Consulting Services
- Together We Are Stronger: A Real Solution to Complex Problems
- What’s Next? Unlock the Potential of a Career Map
- When Volunteers are More Valuable than Money
Contact the Axelson Center via email or at (773) 244-6284.