Fall leaves on campus

Financial Aid and Tuition

Frequently Asked Questions About Financial Aid

We understand that the 2024–25 FAFSA updates and changes have affected many of our families. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions. 

2024–25 FAFSA

Contributor is a new term introduced on the 2024–25 FAFSA form. It refers to anyone asked to provide information on a student’s FAFSA form, i.e., the student, the student’s spouse, a biological or adopted parent, or the parent’s spouse (stepparent).

  • Contributor receives an email informing them that they’ve been identified as a contributor. 
  • Contributor creates a StudentAid.gov account if they don’t already have one. 
  • Contributor logs in to their account using their FSA ID account username and password. 
  • Contributor reviews information about completing their section of the FAFSA form. 
  • Contributor provides the required information on the student’s FAFSA form.

North Park will review students who fall into this category. Admission counselors will work with families on a case-by-case basis.

North Park is now sending financial aid packages to students who have completed their 2024–25 FAFSA. If you have submitted your 2024–25 FAFSA but need to make a correction, log back into studentaid.gov to make any changes.

For a basic estimate of the financial aid available to you at North Park if you enroll in undergraduate classes, check out our Net Price Calculator.

Still have questions about financial aid topics? Below are some questions that we hear often from students and parents. We hope you’ll find the answers you’re looking for here. However, if you still have specific questions about your financial aid award, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Yes. The FAFSA must be completed every year that you wish to be eligible for federal aid, including student loans. You (and your parent, if you are a dependent student) will use the same FSA ID to sign your FAFSA each year.

If you have a credit on your account (more aid than your total bill), you can use those excess funds for additional educational expenses. Once all of your aid has posted to your account, and your charges have been paid in full, you will receive a refund check for the credit amount on your account. If you need funds for books prior to your aid being posted to your account, you can request up to $500 in a cash advance for books from Financial Aid.

You will be considered for North Park scholarships and grants by the Admission Office after you apply. If you are interested in obtaining need-based aid and/or federal student loans, you need to complete the FAFSA. Once you have been admitted to North Park, we’ve received your scholarship information from Admissions, and we’ve received your FAFSA, the University will create a financial aid package for you. The Financial Aid Office will ensure that all financial aid you are awarded is credited to your account and appears on your award letter.

When you file the FAFSA, the information you report is used to calculate your Student Aid Index (SAI). Your SAI is used to determine your eligibility for federal, state and North Park financial aid based on formulas determined by each agency.

We recommend filing the FAFSA as soon as you are able, especially if you are an undergraduate Illinois resident who wishes to be considered for the Illinois MAP Grant. It will be available beginning October 1.

If a change in your current family situation occurs, such as loss of employment or income, separation or divorce, and any other situation that may affect your family’s ability to contribute to the cost of your education, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss filing an appeal for a change in your financial aid award.

A Financial Aid Office staff members can assist you in setting up a payment plan to pay your outstanding balance for any academic term. Please call (773) 244-5560 for more information. If you need additional funding, please contact your financial aid advisor. They may be able to increase your loan amounts for the current term. Learn more about student loans.

No. There are no federal aid allowances for parents of college-age children who themselves attend college.

Once you complete the required loan documents, your loan will be processed. The funds will come electronically from the government, and will post to your North Park student account about a month into the term. You will receive an email when the funds have arrived. If/when you have a credit on your account (more aid than what you are being charged), you will receive a refund check for that amount. You will receive another email if/when your refund check is ready.

For traditional undergraduate students, there are no grants or scholarships for the summer term. (North Park’s summer session courses are offered at a lower tuition rate than full-time tuition during the academic year.) You may have loan eligibility for the summer term, but only if you did not borrow your annual loan amount during the fall and spring semesters. Check with the Financial Aid Office to see if you still have loan funds that you can borrow. You must be enrolled for at least six credit hours during the summer term to access any leftover loan funds.

Adult degree-completion and graduate students can receive financial aid over the summer as these programs run year-round.

Academic scholarships are based on your achievement prior to coming to North Park. We do not revisit academic scholarships for returning students or award/increase scholarships based on your academic performance at North Park University.

No. North Park University is a Division III school and does not offer any athletic scholarships.

Approximately one-third of our students are randomly selected for a process called verification by the federal government. We are required to collect copies of your (and your parent’s/spouse’s) tax information and W-2s to verify that the information provided on your FAFSA is accurate. If you are selected for verification, you will be notified by the Financial Aid Office to submit these documents. Your financial aid will be “unofficial” until verification has been completed.

We recommend that you file the FAFSA at least for your first year. It is impossible to determine what aid you may receive just from your income level. Many other factors play a role in determining your financial aid eligibility, including the size of your household, age of oldest parent, state of residency, etc. The FAFSA is free and only takes a small amount of time to complete. Also keep in mind that you cannot borrow student loans without a FAFSA on file.

For divorced or separated parents, income and assets are reported for the parent who provides the most financial support over the 12 months prior to filing the FAFSA even if the student does not live with that parent or lives with the other parent.

A student who has been convicted of any offense under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance shall not be eligible to receive federal student aid (including grant, loan, or work assistance) during the period beginning on the date of such conviction and ending after the interval specified in the following table:

Possession of a Controlled Substance
Ineligibility Period First Offense 1 year
Second Offense 2 years
Third Offense Indefinite
Sale of a Controlled Substance
Ineligibility Period First Offense 2 years
Second Offense 3 years

A student who has lost eligibility for financial aid based on the possession or sale of a controlled
substance may regain eligibility before the above-stated ineligibility period if the student successfully completes a drug rehabilitation program that:

  1. Includes at least two unannounced drug tests; and
  2. Has received or is qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly under a Federal, State, or
    local government program:

    • Is administered or recognized by a Federal, State, or local government agency or court;
    • Has received or is qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a Federal – or
      State – licensed insurance company; or
    • Is administered or recognized by a Federal – or State – licensed hospital, health clinic or
      medical doctor.