Alford-Axelson Award for Nonprofit Managerial Excellence
The Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management at North Park University is proud to present the Alford-Axelson Award for Nonprofit Managerial Excellence. The purpose of this award program is to honor and continue the legacy of Nils G. Axelson, a devoted community healthcare leader and visionary, and Jimmie R. Alford, a recognized thought leader in the nonprofit arena, by recognizing and celebrating Chicago area nonprofit organizations that exemplify extraordinary managerial excellence. Established in 2001, this award is presented at the Axelson Center’s conference.
The winning organization will receive a $10,000 cash prize and a commemorative award symbolizing the organization’s dedication to modeling nonprofit managerial excellence.
Please note, the 2019 application period is now closed.
In order to be considered for the award, an applicant:
- Must be a 501(c)3 organization
- Must have a primary mission focus that benefits Chicago and/or its surrounding communities (includes Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will County)
- Must provide direct services or programs or member/constituent resources
- Must have an executive director in their role for 2 years or longer at the time of applying
- Must have a strategic plan
- Must certify that financial reports are audited annually by an independent CPA
- Must have quantitative metrics to measure the organization’s impact
- Ineligible organizations include grant making foundations, professional associations, hospitals, houses of worship, and K-12 schools.
If you are a small 501(c)3 organization that has been in existence 10 years or less, has a budget of under $750,000, and has fewer than 10 full-time staff, you might consider applying instead for the Excellent Emerging Organization Award.
Staff, board members, and volunteers may nominate their own organizations by completing an application.
Anyone may nominate a deserving nonprofit organization. Send the Axelson Center an email at email@example.com and encourage them to apply.
- Complete and submit the initial application. (The 2019 application period is now closed.)
- To see a PDF of the Alford-Axelson award application, click here. (Please note, only applications submitted through the on-line portal will be accepted.)
- Initial applications will be reviewed by the award committee and up to 12 organizations will be chosen as finalists to complete the Round 2 application. Finalist organizations will be notified no later than January 11, 2019. Finalists will have until February 6, 2019 to submit the Round 2 application.
- Finalist organizations will be notified of the Round 2 application review meeting date and time, and are asked to have one contact person available via phone for clarification on questions that may arise during the meeting.
- All qualifying finalist organizations will receive special recognition at the Axelson Center’s conference on May 2, 2019. The award winner and finalists will be announced at the conference luncheon and will not be notified in advance. The winner will receive a cash award of $10,000.
A Portrait of an Excellent Organization
This award focuses primarily on management aspects, not individual programming. We recognize that no organization is perfect–we are all on a journey to excellence. In reviewing the nonprofit organizations that were nominated for past year’s awards, the selection committee considered to what extent each organization embodies the full range of managerial excellence criteria:
- Clear, compelling, and well-communicated, mission and vision
- Coherent organizational strategy that aligns programs and services to mission and goals
- Strong and effective leadership by staff and board
- Solid financial management
- Diversified funding model
- Well-developed fundraising and external relations program
- Strong sense of integrity throughout organization’s culture
- Shared sense of purpose and values within organization and among key external constituents
- Process in place for evaluating organizational performance
All information collected during this process will be kept strictly confidential. North Park University will make public only the names and websites of the award winner and finalists. Portions of the data may be used at a later date for educational purposes, but not without prior permission from the organization.
If you have questions about the application or process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-244-6284. We will respond to your inquiry within two business days.
Please note, we will not release any information about the evaluation process or its outcomes until after the May 2nd conference. All applicants will have the opportunity to request committee feedback on their application and are encouraged to do so after the conference.