Student Health and Wellness

Health Services FAQ

In effort to support students’ academic success as well as students’ physical and psychological needs when Health and Counseling Support Services is closed in the evenings, on weekends, and over summer break, we ask you to refer to the following information.

If you need immediate medical attention, please call 911 or go to the Emergency Department at Swedish Hospital located at the corner of Foster and California avenues, 6 blocks east of campus.

If your health issue is not an emergency or you are unsure, please refer to the information below. (See the next FAQ if you are not sure if you should go to the emergency department or immediate care.)


North Park University students who are eligible for counseling can inquire about services using the email capability available through the website:


North Park University will pay for one office visit through Swedish Medical Group (SMG) or NorthShore Immediate Care (NSIC) once per academic year. The free initial consultation does not cover Emergency Room visits or ambulance transport. Please tell the staff at SMG or NSIC that you are a North Park student and bring your North Park ID. (Please keep in mind that the paid visit does not cover any tests or procedures completed during your visit; these would be charged to your health insurance or you will pay for them out of pocket if you do not have health insurance.)

Please visit Health Services at 3317 W. Foster to get referrals for Swedish Medical Group or Immediate Care Centers. The following immediate care centers are used by North Park University:

    • NorthShore Immediate Care Center – Chicago at Sauganash 6141 N. Cicero Avenue, Chicago, IL 60646
    • NorthShore Immediate Care Center – Chicago at NorthCenter 2019 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL 60618
    • You may walk in to be seen or log onto to reserve an appointment time.

Sometimes it is difficult to determine when you should go to the emergency department (ED), an immediate care center, or your primary care physician. The following suggested guidelines can help you determine which health care setting may best meet your needs. However, it is your choice to pursue care at any health care setting regardless of the guidelines below.

See the previous FAQ on what to do when Health Services is closed for the addresses, phone numbers, and hours of NorthShore Immediate Care, Swedish Medical Group (primary care providers), and other local immediate care centers within Walgreens and CVS/Target.

Call 911 (paramedics) or go to the Emergency Department for conditions listed below:

  • Chest pain with shortness of breath that lasts longer than 2 minutes
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Suicidal feelings with plan to commit suicide (OR call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255)
  • Facial or tongue swelling, tightness in throat, or hives/itching over all or most of the body
  • Fell and was unconscious
  • Injury to eye or chemical exposure to eye (may consider going to an ophthalmologist, such as Family Eye Physicians at 773-866-2020)
  • Burn that is larger than the size of the palm of the hand involving more than top layer of skin
  • Headache that is new, worst of your life, or involves vision changes
  • Cannot get out of bed or chair due to weakness, dizziness, or lightheadedness
  • Vomiting or diarrhea that is accompanied by one or more of the following:
    • Has occurred more than 5-6 times in 24 hours
    • Is accompanied by a fever (greater than 101°F)
    • Severe abdominal pain
    • Dehydration (no urination within the last 6 hours)
  • Bleeding from a wound that cannot be stopped with consistent pressure
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Injury (for example, a fracture) that causes great pain, unable to bear weight
  • Pain or swelling in one or both testicles (males)
  • Unwanted sexual encounter (especially if it occurred within the last few days)

Go to Immediate Care or your Primary Care Physician (PCP) for the following conditions listed below:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea (about 5-6 times in 24 hours) but urinating every 6 hours
  • Fever >100.4ᵒ F
  • Wound that may require stitches (bleeding has stopped)
  • Swollen ankle, not able to walk well but can bear weight
  • Cold and flu symptoms (try over-the-counter medications or other natural remedies for first 7-10 days of symptoms; see primary care physician or immediate care if symptoms are more than 7-10 days)
  • Burn involving more than the top layer of skin (may include blisters) to an area less than the size of the palm of the hand
  • Scratchy feeling in eye with redness and/or drainage and crusting
  • Hives or itching on part of the body
  • Panic attack or cutting/self-harm (may also request Counseling Support)
  • Pain with urination or frequent urination
  • Ear pain
  • Dizziness, but can walk independently

The University Nurse can provide some over-the-counter medications and conduct some tests under the direction of a doctor from NorthShore Immediate Care. Currently, Health Services offers the following care and services:

  • Evaluation and treatment of minor illnesses (such as, cuts, burns, or sprains)
  • Select over-the counter medications (see Self-Serve Medication Station, below, for more information on the types of medications available in Health Services)
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Strep A testing (depending on the severity of sore throat symptoms)
  • Blood glucose testing
  • Pregnancy testing
  • Tuberculosis skin testing (PPD) (offered during certain weeks of the school year; cost is related to the cost of supplies)
  • Vaccinations for tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (cost is related to the cost of supplies)
  • Lab requisition for blood tests at Swedish Lab (such as, titer levels to prove immunity or Interferon-Gamma Release Assays (IGRAs); students are responsible for the fees incurred)
  • Referrals to other community health care providers
  • Flu, COVID-19 and MONO testing.
  • Select medical supplies (such as, cold packs, bandages, and condoms)
  • Select medical equipment (such as, crutches and wheel chairs) can be borrowed from Health Services; students will be charged full replacement cost if these items are not returned

Self-Serve Medication Station

If you come to Health Services when the University Nurse is not present, then you can still get over-the-counter medications from the Self-Serve Medication Station to help you get through your day and get back to class. Tell the Office Manager that you would like to access the Self-Serve Medication Station and she will show you what to do.

Health Services asks that you take a maximum of a two-day supply or enough to tide you over until you can get to a pharmacy or back home for your own supply. The over-the-counter medications that are available at the Self-Serve Medication Station include:

  • Acetaminophen (also known as Tylenol) and ibuprofen (also known as Advil or Motrin) for aches, pains, and fever
  • Phenylephrine (nasal decongestant)
  • Guaifenesin (cough expectorant)
  • Bacitracin (antibiotic ointment for cuts, scrapes, burns, and other skin irritation)
  • Band-aids
  • Cold/hot packs
  • Hydrocortisone cream (anti-itch cream for small areas of hives or bug bites)
  • Cough drops
  • Squinchers electrolyte replacement (when vomiting or diarrhea is present and you don’t have Gatorade or Vitamin Water handy)
  • Calcium carbonate (also known as TUMS) for upset stomach, heart burn, and indigestion
  • Bismouth Subsalicylate (also known as Pepto-Bismol) for upset stomach, heart burn, indigestion, nausea, gas, belching, and fullness
  • Simethicone (also known as Mylanta or Gas-X) for relief of pressure, bloating, and fullness associated with gas
  • Saline packets to use with your neti pot for nasal congestion or allergies

Condoms (both male and female) and tampons are available on the book shelf in the waiting room.

Health Services is available to all North Park students for health assessments and health education.

All other services are for:

  • Full-time traditional undergraduate student (taking 6 hours or more in the current semester)
  • Seminary students taking 5 hours or more in the current semester

North Park University no longer requires proof of insurance coverage for full-time undergraduate or part-time Seminary students. There may be additional coverage requirements for student athletes.

However, we strongly encourage all students to obtain health insurance coverage, as is required by the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate. Students can either obtain health insurance through their parents’ plans (if under the age of 26) or  go to to purchase health insurance packages. Learn more about students accessing health insurance.

  • Open enrollment for health insurance packages usually starts November 1st and goes through the middle of December.
  • At , you’ll find a variety of plans and prices. Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for savings based on your income. But if someone will claim you as a tax dependent on next year’s tax return, you won’t be eligible for extra savings.
  • You may be able to get coverage after the open enrollment period if you qualify for a Special Enrollment PeriodAnswer a few fast questions to find out.

If a student is seen in Health Services for a minor illness and student is expected to miss class, notification will be made to professors via EARS informing them of class absence due to a medical issue.  Notifications for excused absences will be made as of the day the student is seen in Health Services. Due to HIPAA Privacy Laws, Health Services will not disclose any details pertaining to the medical issue.  Students may also be excused from class if they provide proper documentation from their physician, this can be sent to  Student should also communicate with their professor regarding their class absence and to make arrangements for any missed assignments or tests.  Health Services will notify professors when the student is able to return to class.

Notification of class absence will not be made to professors if students are not seen at Health Services or if they do not provide proper medical documentation.  In this case it will be up to the professor to determine if the student is allowed to make up any classes, assignments or tests missed.

If students need accommodations due to a disability or chronic medical condition the student will need to meet with someone in the Disability office to make arrangements for accommodations, they can be reached at

Visits to North Park University’s Health Services, Swedish Medical Group (SMG), or NorthShore Immediate Care centers—and all corresponding records—are confidential and cannot be reviewed or released to anyone without the consent of the student.

When North Park University’s Health Services refers students to SMG or one of the NorthShore Immediate Care centers, the student will be given a Release of Medical Information Form to provide to staff at Swedish. This form allows staff at Swedish to send your progress notes and test results for the medical visit back to the nurse in Health Services. Although students are not required to sign and provide the Release of Medical Information Form, it is intended to improve the continuity of care for the student.

Students requiring hospitalization can be admitted to Swedish Hospital or another area hospital.

X-rays and laboratory tests can also be done at Swedish Hospital or at NorthShore Immediate Care centers. Charges will be billed to the student and/or their health insurance.

Students who need to be examined by a physician or nurse practitioner for an illness or injury will be referred to their primary care physician or a Swedish Medical Group or one of two NorthShore Immediate Care locations.

Physical exams and other lab tests for students may be done with your primary care physician, a physician from Swedish Medical Group (SMG) or a provider at NorthShore Immediate Care. You will need to come to Health Services at 3317 W Foster to pick up a referral or a lab requisition form.

The charge for the physical will be based on the complexity of the exam and any tests required to complete the physical. You should ask about potential costs at the time of scheduling the appointment, as well as what could be covered by your health insurance.

Students are required by the State of Illinois to submit proof of up-to-date immunizations for Measles, Mumps, Rubella (or MMR) and Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis. Students who are under the age of 22 are also required to show proof of meningococcal conjugate vaccine.

The deadline for submitting immunizations to Health Services is July 15th for the Fall semester and December 15th for the Spring semester. Students not in compliance with the regulations will be hindered from registering for subsequent semesters.

For additional information refer to the Immunization Record Form.

Most services, medications, and tests provided in Health Services are free for students. However, there is often a charge for the following services:

  • PPD test (tuberculosis skin test)
  • Vaccine for tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (Tdap)

Services provided in Health Services that require an extra fee will be billed to your student account. You will sign a form that shows you understand when certain services will be billed to your student account.

In addition, please note the following:

  • Selected medical supplies can be borrowed from Health Services. Student accounts will be charged at full replacement cost if these items are not returned.
  • North Park University will pay for one health care visit for sickness or injury at Swedish Medical Group (SMG) or NorthShore Immediate Care (NSIC) once per academic year.
  • Laboratory fees at Swedish Hospital are billed at a reduced price for North Park students. A lab requisition must be picked up from Health Services.