Services for Graduate Students
Graduate students can take advantage of the Writing Center in several ways:
- Graduate Student Drop-in Hours are Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:00-10:00 pm. These drop-in hours are hosted by professional writing coach Nancy Hostetter who has experience working with our SoN graduate students in the former WRIT5000 “Writing for the Professions” program. No appointment necessary.
- WA’s (Undergraduate Writing Advisors) may also work with graduate students, especially if the need arises during Graduate Student Drop-in Hours. WA’s serve as “sympathetic first readers” who can work on higher order concerns such as interpreting prompts, paper organization and development, or checking citation format. WA’s may direct graduate students back to their professors if asked content-based questions they don’t feel qualified to answer or to Melissa Pavlik for grammar/ESL concerns.
- Distance Conferencing is offered for SPS, DNP, and graduate students by appointment only. Please contact Nancy Hostetter at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
- Individual Appointments can be made with Melissa Pavlik by calling (773) 244-4918 or emailing email@example.com. You may also schedule a meeting via Calendly at https://calendly.com/mpavlik.
- A Writing Coach can be provided (free of charge) for graduate students able to commit to 8 one-hour coaching sessions per semester. After receiving a faculty recommendation and student signature on a letter of understanding, the Writing Center will match you with a professional coach based on mutual availability.
- A List of Professional Writing Coaches who have worked with NPU graduate students in the past in the Writing Center is available. In this case, interested graduate students can contact these coaches, agree on a fee, and set up appointments that fit their schedules. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.