Fall leaves on campus

Financial Aid and Tuition

Eligibility for Financial Aid

Some types of financial aid (academic or talent scholarships, for example) come with specific eligibility requirements. These are all described as part of the scholarships descriptions.

In order to receive need-based financial aid (grants and federal student loans), you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled at least half-time per semester (six credit hours for undergraduates) in a degree program.
  • Have a valid social security number
  • Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen/permanent resident
  • Be registered with the Selective Service, if required
  • Be in good standing (not in default) on federal student loans or payments at any other institutions
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Complete a FAFSA

Financial aid packages generally stay the same from year to year. Changes to your financial aid awards could occur if:

  • You do not complete a FAFSA each year or your Student Aid Index (SAI) drastically changes.
  • A portion of your institutional need-based financial aid was awarded because you were expected to live on campus and you choose to live off-campus (your financial aid will be reduced up to $2,500 a year).
  • You do not complete verification. The government selects approximately 30% of our students to be verified each year. You must turn in documents as specified by the Financial Aid Office. All state and federal aid will be put on hold until this is completed.
  • You do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • You drop classes. If you drop below 12 hours per semester, your federal aid will be reduced and you will lose your institutional aid. You must be enrolled for at least six hours per semester to keep your student loans. If you are an Illinois resident receiving the Illinois MAP Grant, you must maintain 15 hours per semester to receive your full award.