Pre-Health Professions Boot Camp
Pre-Health Professions Boot Camp precedes freshmen orientation with a 10-day session that includes classes, interactions with professors, and exploration of healthcare fields through community-based events. Students will have the opportunity to discover traditional and new careers in the Health Professions industry through a multi-faceted educational approach that includes hands-on learning that will prepare the scholar for the expectations of North Park and graduate level schooling.
- Introduce and explore the diversity of healthcare professions
- Provide two semester hours of academic credit
- Highlight personal interests as related to the field of health services
- Begin preparation for post-graduate work
- Teach academic skills such as time management, study skills and test taking strategies
- Prepare students for academic rigor within the sciences
August 15–23, 2018
Students’ classroom experiences will include mini-lectures from professors in healthcare-related majors. Assignments will be given to assist in exploration of the course as it relates to the field of health care. Out of class experiences are designed to supplement classroom learning.
- Hands-on experience with human cadavers
- On-field athletic training preparing for sports team practices
- Exploration of major themes in psychology
- Analysis of community-based healthcare in an urban setting
- Organic chemistry lab with chromatography
- Use of molecular biology to analyze genetic immunity to disease
- Explore health through physics
Outside of the Classroom Experience
- Students will be partnered with an upper-level science major as a mentor (Allows participants to get answers to questions about college from a student’s perspective)
- Visit some of Chicago’s centers for science and learning
- Networking with North Park Alumni in the Healthcare Industry
- Canoe Trip down the Chicago River
- Explore Chicago during a day in downtown
Pre-Health Boot Camp move-in will be Wednesday, August 15 at 2pm. Students should check-in the Johnson Center prior to move-in. Students are required to live on campus during the nine days of the boot camp.
The total cost of the program is $50; you can choose to pay the fee online or by sending a check. Your program registration won’t be considered complete until the registration fee is received by North Park University. Please complete the registration by following both steps below.
For more information, contact the Office of Student Engagement by email or by phone at (773) 244-5737.