Pre-Health Professions Boot Camp
Pre-Health Professions Boot Camp precedes freshmen orientation with a 10-day session that includes classes, interactions with professors, and exploration of healthcare fields through community-based events. Students will have the opportunity to discover traditional and new careers in the Health Professions industry through a multi-faceted educational approach that includes hands-on learning that will prepare the scholar for the expectations of North Park and graduate level schooling.
- Introduce and explore the diversity of healthcare professions
- Provide two semester hours of academic credit
- Highlight personal interests as related to the field of health services
- Begin preparation for post-graduate work
- Teach academic skills such as time management, study skills and test taking strategies
- Prepare students for academic rigor within the sciences
August 17–24, 2018
Students’ classroom experiences will include mini-lectures from professors in healthcare-related majors. Assignments will be given to assist in exploration of the course as it relates to the field of health care. Out of class experiences are designed to supplement classroom learning.
- Hands-on experience with human cadavers
- On-field athletic training preparing for sports team practices
- Exploration of major themes in psychology
- Analysis of community-based healthcare in an urban setting
- Organic chemistry lab with chromatography
- Use of molecular biology to analyze genetic immunity to disease
- Explore health through physics
Outside of the Classroom Experience
- Students will be partnered with an upper-level science major as a mentor (Allows participants to get answers to questions about college from a student’s perspective)
- Visit some of Chicago’s centers for science and learning
- Networking with North Park Alumni in the Healthcare Industry
- Canoe Trip down the Chicago River
- Explore Chicago during a day in downtown
The program will begin on Friday, August 17th and run through Friday, August 24th. You would move into your campus residence on Thursday, August 16th. Fall semester begins on Monday, August 27.
For more information, contact the Office of Student Engagement by email or by phone at (773) 244-5737.