The Virginia E. Hahn Memorial Scholarship was endowed by the generosity of a lifelong history teacher to support students who share her vision and passion for teaching history.
First-year students who plan to study history with the intent to teach history at a high-school or university level are invited to apply for the Hahn Scholarship. This award, valued at $5,000 or more per year, is available in addition to other scholarships or grants awarded by North Park (some restrictions to this stipulation do exist; see below). The Hahn Scholarship is renewable annually based on the requirements listed below.
Students are selected for the Hahn Scholarship based on the following criteria:
- Admission to North Park University as a first-year student for the 2021 fall semester
- Completion of the online Hahn scholarship application
- ACT/SAT test scores
- High-school academic record, including GPA
- Scholarship essay of 300–400 words describing why you want to teach history and how North Park will help prepare you to do so
If selected for a Hahn Scholarships, students must meet the following criteria in order to renew the award:
- Enrollment in a history class during both semesters of the first year at North Park
- A timely declaration of history as a major
- Admission into the education program at a timely point if the student intends to teach at the high-school level
- Once enrolled in the respective history and education programs, timely progress toward completion
- Full-time enrollment at North Park University
- On-campus residency
Failure to meet the terms of the scholarship may result in a partial decrease or full loss of the Hahn Scholarship.
Application and Deadline
The deadline for admitted students to complete all application materials is April 15, 2021, for 2021 fall-semester enrollment.
Recipients of a Hahn Scholarship for the fall semester will be notified by May 1, and the full amount of your yearly award will appear as part of your financial aid package.
- Per University policy, the total value of North Park academic scholarships and grants (institutional aid that does not need to be repaid) given to any student cannot exceed the cost of tuition.
- The Hahn Scholarship may not be deferred to a later start date. A student who defers matriculation at North Park must reapply for the Hahn Scholarship and will be considered in a new round of applicants for the appropriate start term.