Post-Master’s Certificate: Family Nurse Practitioner
If you have already earned a master’s degree in nursing and would like to become a family nurse practitioner, this certificate is designed for you. Nurse practitioners are in high demand to provide front-line, primary care in hospitals, community centers, schools, workplaces, clinics, and other organizational settings. As an FNP, you’ll work with patients of all ages and their families to respond to health needs through immediate treatment and long-term care and wellness plans. North Park University’s post-master’s FNP certificate program will build on your practical experience and master’s degree as you prepare to meet the growing need for advanced practice nursing in the American healthcare system. You’ll complete coursework and supervised clinical experience that will allow you to enhance your skills and advance your career in advanced practice family nursing.
North Park University’s School of Nursing and Health Sciences has a long tradition and well-regarded reputation for training effective, compassionate caregivers. You’ll study with expert practitioner faculty in face-to-face classes. Our state-of-the-art nursing simulation lab will provide you the opportunity to practice on “standardized patients” in a safe, clinical setting and receive immediate feedback from faculty. Your professors and peers will get to know you and work alongside you as you develop the advanced skills you need.
Upon completion of coursework and supervised clinical practice for this certificate, you’ll be prepared to take the family nurse practitioner certification exam offered through the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
Post-Master’s FNP Certificate Course Requirements
Total 40 semester hours (sh), plus 675 practicum hours
Required Nurse Practitioner Core & Role Courses:
- Role Concepts and Transitions (2 SH) NURS 5503
- Advanced Pathophysiology (3 SH) NURS 5505
- Advanced Pharmacology (3 SH) NURS 5510
- Advanced Health Assessment (4 SH) NURS 5515
- Health and Wellness Promotion (3 SH) NURS 5520
Required Nurse Practitioner Population-specific
- Adult Health I Primary Care (6 SH) NURS 5531
- Adult Health II Primary Care (3 SH) NURS 5540
- Pediatric Primary Care (5 SH) NURS 5561
- Women’s Health Primary Care (4 SH) NURS 5571
- Advanced Practice Gerontologic Nursing I Primary Care (2 SH) NURS 5610
- Residency: Family Practice (3 SH) NURS 5791
- Capstone Project (2 SH) NURS 5990
Please review the full academic catalog for the year you enrolled at North Park for official course requirements. The catalog and your academic advisor will assist you in planning your course sequence to complete your post-master’s certificate.