Post-Master’s Certificate: Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
This post-master’s certification program is designed to prepare nurses to meet the growing need for advanced practice nursing in the American healthcare system. If you have already earned a master’s degree in nursing and would like to become an adult-gerontology primary care nurse practitioner (AGPCNP), this certificate will help you enhance your skills to meet the healthcare needs of our aging population. Nurse practitioners provide front-line, primary care for adults in hospitals, community centers, workplaces, clinics, and other organizational settings. In this program, you’ll build on your practical experience with coursework and clinical experiences that will allow you to advance your career in adult-gerontology advanced practice nursing.
North Park University’s School of Nursing has a long tradition and well-regarded reputation for training effective, compassionate caregivers. You’ll study with expert practitioner faculty in face-to-face classes. Our state-of-the-art nursing simulation lab will provide you the opportunity to practice on “standardized patients” in a safe, clinical setting and receive immediate feedback from faculty. Your professors and peers will get to know you and work alongside you as you develop the advanced skills you need.
Upon completion of coursework and supervised clinical practice for this certificate, you’ll be prepared to take the nurse practitioner certification exam offered through the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
Post-Master’s AGPCNP Certificate Course Requirements
36 total semester hours (SH), plus 765 practicum hours
Required Nurse Practitioner Core & Role Courses
- Advanced Practice Nursing: Role Concepts and Transitions (2 SH) NURS 5503
- Advanced Pathophysiology (3 SH) NURS 5505
- Advanced Pharmacology (3 SH) NURS 5510
- Advanced Health Assessment (4 SH) NURS 5515
- Health and Wellness Promotion (3 SH) NURS 5520
Required Population-specific Courses
- Adult Health I Primary Care (6 SH) NURS 5531
- Adult Health II Primary Care (3 SH) NURS 5540
- Adult Health II Practicum (1 SH) NURS 5545
- Advanced Practice Gerontologic Nursing I Primary Care (2 SH) NURS 5610
- Advanced Practice Gerontologic Nursing II Primary Care (4 SH) NURS 5622
- Residency: Adult Gerontology Primary Care (3 SH) NURS 5781
- Capstone Project (2 SH) NURS 5990
Please review the full academic catalog for the year you enrolled at North Park for official course requirements. The catalog and your academic advisor will assist you in planning your course sequence to complete your post-master’s certificate.