Fall leaves on campus

Financial Aid and Tuition

Financial Aid Process

The financial aid process at North Park begins with your application for admission. If you are a United States citizen, you should also fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you plan on seeking aid or taking student loans. While it may seem like an overwhelming form, the FAFSA is the best way for North Park to get a comprehensive picture of your financial situation in order to best serve you.

Once you have been admitted to North Park and we have received your FAFSA information (if applicable), we will put together a financial aid package for you. This will include the maximum amount of funds you are eligible to receive from a variety of sources, including North Park’s institutional aid and federal and state student loans and grants, including the Illinois MAP grant, if applicable. You can view your financial aid information online at any time through SelfService, North Park’s online student services portal.

Any financing that you plan to receive from private organizations or groups—such as outside scholarships or private loans—won’t be included in your package from North Park. Talk with your recruiter about how these can be applied to your account.

Maintain Eligibility

In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid, including student loans and grants, please be sure to note the following:

  • You must maintain satisfactory academic progress in your program of study.
  • At least half-time attendance (six credit hours per semester for undergraduate students, four credit hours per semester for graduate students) is required. See below for a note on enrollment in and dropping quad classes affecting financial aid amounts.
  • You may not be in default on any federal student loans.

Enrollment in Quad Classes

Many degree-completion and graduate courses at North Park are offered as quad classes, lasting for only 7 weeks each instead of a full semester. These are considered modular courses for purposes of calculating federal student aid. Federal Title IV aid, including Stafford Loans and Pell Grants, is awarded based on enrollment per semester. If you withdraw from the University or drop classes, you may be required to return all or a portion of the federal aid you were awarded. Effective July 1, 2011, the US Department of Education instituted new regulations that govern the Return of Title IV Funds for students enrolled in modular courses. The new regulation only affects students who drop or withdraw from courses they were scheduled to complete. Learn more about the calculation for returning Title IV funds.

Because each student’s situation is unique, we urge you to contact the Financial Aid Office before dropping quad classes if you access Stafford Loans and/or Pell Grants to help pay for school.