New for the 2014–2015 school year, the Viking Shuttle is a free vehicle service that operates continually during evening, late-night, and early morning hours with stops at key locations around the North Park campus. Students, faculty, and staff can get on and off the shuttle at any of the identified stops. The Viking Shuttle will be driven by a North Park Security Officer, providing an additional level of safety for passengers.
When the Viking Shuttle is not in service, students may be able to use the North Park Security Escort service. Vehicle and walking security escorts are available to assist individuals who are in need of transportation assistance or have safety concerns. Find out more about the North Park Security Escort Service.
- Hours: 7:00 pm–2:00 am when school is in sessionNot operational during fall, winter, spring, and summer breaks.
- Cost: Free; must show North Park ID to board
- Route: The shuttle travels in one direction, north on Kimball avenue from the Kimball Brown Line “L” Station toward campus; east on Foster avenue to Kedzie, with interior campus stops; south on Kedzie toward Lawrence, making a loop through the interior of campus; and west on Lawrence to the Kimball Brown Line stop.See maps below for details or download a printable route map.
If you have any questions about the Viking Shuttle, please contact North Park Campus Safety and Security.
Viking Shuttle Stops:
- Brandel Library
- Anderson Chapel
- Old Main
- Gym Entrance on Kedzie
- Campus Residences on Carmen
- Burgh Hall
- Anderson Hall
- Sawyer Court
- Helwig Recreational Center
- Park North
- Kimball Brown Line “L” Stop
Security Escort Service
North Park Campus Security Escorts are one option for students, faculty, and staff who find themselves unsure or uncomfortable in their surroundings or in need of transportation assistance around campus and to select nearby locations. Campus Security Officers are available to provide walking or vehicle security escorts on an as-needed basis and for safety reasons; this is not a service designed for convenience.
Security Escort Service Details
- Hours: From dusk until dawn, but not available from 7:00 pm–2:00 am while the Viking Shuttle is running; from 7:00 pm–2:00 am, please use the Viking Shuttle service
- Daytime security escorts may be provided for special circumstances, including illness and injury.
- Request a security escort: (773) 244-5600
- You will be asked to provide your North Park ID number, pick-up location and destination, and a cell phone number. You may be asked to show your ID when your security escort arrives.
Security Escort Destinations
- Walking escorts are limited to campus facilities.
- Vehicle escorts are limited as follows:
- Campus-to-campus locations
- Kimball Brown Line “L” Stations
- Swedish Covenant Hospital
- Off-campus locations for students who have after-hours campus jobs, such as desk attendants
- Escorts may not be utilized to and from off-campus housing, stores, and restaurants