Congregational Vitality Certificate Requirements
The certificate in congregational vitality is closely linked with the vitality resources and workshops offered by the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) and builds on those experiences. It provides opportunity for pastors to explore areas beyond the workshops and gives special attention to contextualizing the resources for other countries and cultures.
During the two-year certificate program, all participants will attend each of the three vitality workshops (Veritas, EPIC, ONE) offered by the ECC. Students who have already attended the workshops in a congregational setting prior to beginning this academic program will be exempted from this requirement.
Total Semester Hours: 12
Required Courses (9 sh):
- Foundations of Congregational Vitality
- Leading Healthy Missional Change
- Strategic Ministry Planning
Elective Course (3 sh), choose one from:
- MNST 5151 Cultural Dimensions of Mission
- MNST 5212 Introduction to Preaching
- MNST 6264 Communicating the Faith in the Contemporary World
- MNST 7306 Evangelism and Discipleship
- MNST 6280 Mobilizing for Justice
- MNST 6350 Foundations for Urban Ministry
- MNST 6122 Introduction to Pastoral Care and Counseling
- Substitute course chosen in consultation with a regional director of congregational vitality
Each of the three required courses—Foundations of Congregational Vitality, Leading Healthy Missional Change, and Strategic Ministry Planning—will be offered as intensive hybrid courses during the January, March, and/or summer sessions in the Seminary calendar. The fourth course requirement can be taken at any time during the student’s program, choosing from in-person, online, or intensive hybrid formats, depending on the course chosen.